Healthy Recipes For Flank Steak: How To Make A Bourbon and Brown Sugar Flank Steak
Healthy Recipes - Bourbon and Brown Sugar Flank Steak
Flank steak has become one of the most popular steaks these days for grilling. What is really puzzling about this steak though is that despite the high price tag, it is one of the toughest cuts of meat out there!
Flank steak came to be popular by way of the extremely delicious entree London Broil - thus a star was born. A relatively 'cheap' and unwanted cut of beef became an extremely popular and thus expensive cut of beef!
This recipe, however, is one sure-fire way to cook this cut of beef. The marinade I think is the trick. I generally let it sit in the marinade for a full 24 hours and then grill it. The steak is not only tender cooked this way but it is also delicious.
Bourbon and Brown Sugar Flank Steak
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup minced green onions
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 2-pound flank steak, trimmed
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- Extra chives
- Combine steak and all other ingredients except cornstarch in a large zip-lock bag. Add steak.
- Seal and marinate in refrigerator. Every so often turn and mix ingredients.
- Marinade in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours or up to a full day.
- Remove steak from the bag - reserve the marinade.
- Prepare grill - inside or outside. A George Foreman grill works just as well as the BBQ. Or broil inside in the oven.
- Place steak on grill rack coated with cooking spray.
- Grill 5 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Cut diagonally across the grain into thin slices.
- Combine reserved marinade and cornstarch in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Serve as a gravy for the meat.
Mashed Potatoes with Garlic and Chives
The perfect accompaniment to Bourbon and Brown Sugar Flank Steak
- 3 pounds small red potatoes unpeeled, scrubbed
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 2-1/2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- Place potatoes and garlic in a large Dutch oven, cover with water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, simmer 30 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Return potatoes and garlic to the pan and place over medium heat.
- Add sour cream, milk, butter, salt and pepper. Mash to desired consistency with a masher or blend with a hand blender or mixer.
- Stir in the chives.
- Mound 3/4 cup potatoes on 8 plates. Arrange 3 ounces of steak around each serving of potatoes.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon sauce over food - sprinkle with chives.
Summing Up Bourbon and Brown Sugar Flank Steak
This is a wonderful recipe but as you can see from the videos, there are many other ways to cook flank steak.
The key to a good flank steak is in my opinion the marinade and letting it sit in preferably some kind of alcohol before grilling. The alcohol burns off with the grilling but marinading it in alcohol allows some of the toughness to break down and leaves you with a delicious and tender steak after grilling.
Just make sure to not overcook as the flank steak cut of beef is very tough anyway. Also experiment with other types of alcohol for your marinade. I have used whatever I had on hand, including brandy once, and it turned out wonderfully.
This is also a great way to cook a pork tenderloin!
More Sources on Flank Steak Cooking Techniques and Marinades
- Cooks.com - Recipes - Flank Steak Marinades
- Foreman Grill
The George Foreman Grill
- How to Broil Marinated Flank Steak... Also Known As London Broil | eHow.com
How to Broil Marinated Flank Steak... Also Known As London Broil. This is one of my favorite cuts of beef. And there are only two of them per beef animal, one on each flank. When I was young they were quite reasonably priced. Actually, they were chea
- How to Grill Flank Steak
- Grilled Marinated Flank Steak Recipe | Simply Recipes
A melt in your mouth flank steak that is cooked quickly with a high heat. The marinade of soy sauce, honey and garlic does the trick for this cut of meat.
- How to cook flank steak? - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums
When I was last at my parents house, my mom made flank steak. All she did was throw it on the gril and cover it with this montreal steak seasoning and it was like the most delicious thing ever. I have
- How to Cook a Flank Steak | eHow.com
How to Cook a Flank Steak. In these days of steadily rising prices, steak almost seems out of reach for most people. A less expensive steak that is tasty and delicious may fit many people's budget. Flank steak is a lean,...
- The Basics: How to Make Stovetop Flank Steak : Cooks in less than 10 minutes - CHOW
- Southern Cuisine: Holle's Red Wine Marinade for Stea...
I really like steak. A nice thick T-bone, ribeye, Porterhouse, filet, or New York strip on the grill is my idea of a great meal! I like mine Pittsburg rare a little charred on the outside and red on the...
- Shiraz - Soy Grilled Flank Steak Recipe
Steak and the grill, they were made for each other; but so were shiraz, soy sauce, and flank steak. In this recipe we combine all the right ingredients to give you the perfect grilled flank steak. The key to...
- How to cook a skirt steak. The fajita steak!
If you're determined to really make a great home fajita dinner, it's worth it to take the time to source a skirt steak. The skirt steak is a long primal cut from the belly of the cow, and is quite narrow,...
- Culinary Basics: Cooking with Flank Steak
It used to be that flank steak was one of the more affordable steaks and people thought of it as less than gourmet. However, today, it is a culinary basic ingredient for many chefs and home cooks as...
- Marinated BBQ Flank Steak
Anytime of year, its a great time to grill! Anytime of year, it is time to enjoy this marinated BBQ flank steak recipe. This is a great, easy recipe that you can start in the morning and toss over the flame...
- Asian Flank Steak
The other night I had a small piece of flank steak I had taken out of the freezer and tried to think of something different to do with it. I had been looking at this recipe for a shrimp dish similar to...
How to Carve Flank Steak Against the Grain
How To Broil Flank Steak in the Oven
Red Wine Marinated Flank Steak
Flank Steak with Bleu Cheese
How to Carve Rolled Flank Steak
More by this Author
Cabbage rolls have been around for a long, long time. Try the old fashioned version and see if these aren't the best cabbage rolls ever.
- EDITOR'S CHOICE27
Try this great best recipe for pot roast in a dutch oven. It's delicious and easy.
- EDITOR'S CHOICE2
I learned the hard way not to put an ice pack directly on my skin. Here's how to treat ice burns quickly, and how to avoid them as well.