How To Make Flax Seed French Toast
Healthy Recipes - Flax Seed French Toast
French Toast is a great breakfast dish but how about if we add in something really, really good for us like flax seed?
You've got it - we have Flax Seed French Toast!
This is a wonderful way to have French toast and also add in an ingredient that is super healthy for us - flax seed.
I copied down this recipe from a cookbook. I regret in this case I can't seem to find which cookbook I got this wonderful recipe from! I know it was one of the high fiber cookbooks that I like to check out from time to time and when I find it, I will make sure to come back and let you know which great cookbook it was from!
Recipe for Flax Seed French Toast
Makes 6 slices of French toast.
- 1/2 cup raw cashew pieces (I substitute almonds)
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (divided)
- 1-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons whole flax seed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon or coriander
- 6 slices sprouted grain bread or whole-grain multi grain bread
- Use a blender on high setting or food processor/mini processor to blend the nuts with 1/2 cup water until smooth and creamy.
- Add remaining ingredients except for bread and blend on high until mixture is thickened.
- Pour into a shallow baking pan or dish.
- Lightly spray frying pan or griddle with vegetable spray – set griddle to 350 degrees or frying pan to medium heat.
- Dip each slice of bread into the batter to coat and place in frying pan or on griddle. \
- Cook until golden brown on bottom.
- Flip and brown on the other side.
This French toast is delicious served with fresh fruit or homemade applesauce.
Benefits of Flax Seed
Flax seed is becoming very popular for its healthy properties and it is recommended that we add 2 tablespoons of flax to our daily diet. Here are some facts about flax - 'just the flax'.
- Flax seed is loaded with omega-3 oils
- Omega-3 oils are believed invaluable in the fight against heart disease, cancers, arthritis, inflammatory diseases, and diabetes
- Flax seed is high in fiber
- If you need your cholesterol lowered, flax seed would be a great addition to your diet
- Flax seed is loaded with B vitamins
- Antioxidants are abundant in flax seed
Some precautions to take with flax seed
- Make sure you store it in a cool, dry place - or in the fridge as it can become rancid
- Using more than 2 tablespoons per day is not recommended because flax seed contains small amounts of cyanide
- Flax seed can have a hormonal effect on the body
- Too much flax seed can also produce a laxative effect
Used in moderation, flax seed has many positive properties - it is also one of the 7 foods recommended for women on a daily basis.
More Sources for Flax Seed Recipes and Information
- Flax Seed Meal - Where to Get It and How to Use It
Most health food stores have flax seeds, but if yours doesn't, here's advice about getting them, the differences between flax seeds and meal, and how to "grind your own".
- How to Use Flax Seed
- Flaxseed Health Benefits, Food Sources, Recipes, and Tips for Using It
Is flaxseed the new wonder food? Preliminary studies show that flaxseed may help fight everything from heart disease and diabetes to breast cancer.
- Flax Seed Health Benefits and Safety Issues - Flax Seed Nutrition
Information about flax seed, including nutrition, health benefits, and safety issues. Links to lots of yummy recipes.
- Apple cinnamon flaxseed waffles - CookEatShare
- What can I make with flaxseed meal? - Home Cooking - Chowhound
- Flaxseed Whole Grain Apple Cinnamon Waffles | Tag Archives | Healthnuttxo
- Apple Flax Seed French Toast
Why is Flaxseed So Good For Us?
How to Add Flax Seed to Pancakes and Waffles
How to Make Flax Seed Pancakes
More by this Author
The best recipe you'll find for making light and fluffy buttermilk biscuits
You can make a jumbo or extra large muffin from any muffin recipe out there. You just have to know how to tweak the recipe in terms of baking time and amount you put in the pan. If you don't have a jumbo muffin pan,...
In a tight economy, how much should you pay a pet sitter? It depends on many factors including what kind of pet, age of the pet, what the pet sitter has to do and even how far the pet sitter has to drive to take care...