Healthy Pizza Recipes: How To Make Greek Style Pizza With Homemade Dough Recipe
Healthy Recipes - Greek Style Pizza
This is a great snack recipe for watching World Cup Soccer or a championship basketball game! It is also great as a light dinner or for lunch.
Greek Pizza actually refers to 2 different things - the most common reference to Greek Pizza is a pizza with Greek ingredients - like feta cheese, onion, Kalamata olives, fresh tomatoes, green pepper, maybe some gyros meat and spinach.
The other reference to Greek Pizza is describing a type of crust rather than toppings. This variation of Greek Pizza is baked in a pan instead of in a pizza oven and it has a crust that is generally very oily.
This second kind of Greek Pizza is called Greek Pizza without any of the toppings commonly associated with Greek Pizza! This is most often the variation that Greeks eat. This variation of Greek Pizza is also very popular in New England cuisine.
The pizza recipe here, however, is for the type of Greek Pizza that has some of the typical Greek Pizza toppings and see my substitutions and additions below.
Homemade Quick Pizza Dough Recipe
- 4 cups of self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 cup of butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups of milk
- Olive oil for brushing
- Combine all dough ingredients.
- Knead for 20 minutes (mixer knead if desired).
- Set aside until the oven has preheated and toppings are ready. Dough will start to rise.
- Roll out to a thickness of 1/4 inch, and brush lightly with olive oil.
Greek Style Pizza Recipe
Makes 9 servings - 1 slice of pizza per serving
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 large homemade or store-bought pizza crust
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion 6 ounces chopped
3 cups cut leaf loose pack frozen spinach
1 teaspoon dill weed
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1/2 cup crumbled fat-free feta cheese
1 cup shredded reduced fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray large baking sheet or pizza pan with cooking spray. Lightly sprinkle with cornmeal.
In medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat and cook the onion, stirring frequently until soft but not browned.
Stir in the spinach. Cover and cook gently for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally and breaking up lumps of spinach as necessary.
Remove skillet from burner and add dill and salt and pepper if using.
Spread the spinach mixture over the pizza crust – sprinkle the cheeses evenly over top of that.
If using homemade crust bake 8-10 minutes. If using purchased crust, bake according to package directions or until the pizza begins to brown at the edges.
Let stand for at least 5 minutes and then slice into 9 slices.
Substitutions and Additions for Greek Pizza
For the above recipe, add any of these additional ingredients
- Substitute shallots for the onion - different flavor but totally delicious
- Use red onions or sweet onions instead of regular brown onions
- Use fresh spinach - wilt a bit in a pan with no water before putting on
- Use fresh dill weed instead - 1 tablespoon fresh to 1 teaspoon dry
- Use other herbs such as tarragon or rosemary
- Add 1/4 to 1/3 cup Kalamata olives sprinkled on the pizza
- Add a few pepper strips to the pizza
- Add grilled chicken in small pieces or other meats
- Add bits of diced fresh tomato
- Add a slight smear of homemade pesto sauce to the crust after brushing with olive oil
- In the United States, 30 million slices of pizza are consumed per day
- In 1 minute, Americans will have consumed 350 slices of pizza
- Pizza sales bring in roughly $25 million per year
- Pizza was originally invented by the Greeks - the crust was created to serve as a handle
- It then caught on in Italy when the Greeks occupied Italy for 6 centuries and that is why it is traditionally thought of as Italian
- On the very first pizzas, there were no tomatoes - tomatoes were thought to be poisonous
- The first noted recipe for tomatoes on pizza appeared in the mid 1500's.
- In 1889, the first tomato pizza was served to the Italian queen, Queen Margherita and the tomatoes were added because the cook wanted to depict the Italian flag and he needed something red
- The first American pizzaria opened in New York in 1905
- Returning soldiers from World War II brought back their love for pizza after serving in Italy
- The original pizza had no cheese
Greek Pizza by College Cooks
How to Make Pizza Doughs
BBQ Chicken Greek Pizza
Greek Pizza in Baton Rouge
More Sources on Greek Pizza
- How to Make Pizza (with video) - wikiHow
wikiHow article about How to Make Pizza.
- Homemade Greek Pizza - Recipe for Lathenia - Ladenia
This recipe is for homemade pizza with bacon, tomatoes, ham, peppers, and cheese toppings. Easy to make with pita bread or the dough in the recipe.
- How to Make Greek Pizza
- More Recipes Like Greek Pizza with Spinach, Feta and Olives - All Recipes
Hubs on Greek and Feta Cheese Pizza
- Culinary Basics: Lavash Bread For Pizza or Appetizer...
Lavash bread as part of the culinary basics is a very versatile and relatively low fat substitute for many forms of doughs and crusts. For instance, you can use Lavash bread in place of tortillas or wraps....
- Perfect Pizza Crust: Best-Ever Tender Pizza Crust.
Recipe for perfect pizza dough 2 tbsp. of yeast in 1/2 cup of warm water. Let rise. In another bowl: 2 tbsp. sugar 2 tbsp. of shortening 2 tsp. salt Add 2 cups of boiling water. Stir until fat...
- Easy Recipe for Pizza and Calzones From Scratch
I originally found this idea in a 2009 Cooking Light magazine but since then, I've used it several ways and made several adjustments to it as suggested below. However, the fact stands that the dough recipe...
- Chicken Spinach Feta Mushroom Pizza
I mostly advocate homemade but let's face it - sometimes we all have to cut a few corners if we need to make something quick and still have it resemble homemade. Tonight, I was faced with making something...
- The Best Pizza in Chicago and Possibly the World
It's a hot issue--some might say piping hot--the issue is where the biggest and best pizza in the world is. Here is the definitive answer...
- Phyllo Dough Pizza Featuring Feta, Basil and Tomatoe...
Another marvelous way to cut calories and make your own pizza! Phyllo (filo, fillo) dough pizza is very easy to make and this is but one idea for ingredients. Phyllo dough is found in the freezer section of...
More by this Author
Nachos is a favorite for many people - for dinner or for a snack/appetizer. With this healthy recipe for Pork Tenderloin Nachos, you can eliminate the guilt of making nachos or eating them! This is a recipe that I...
- EDITOR'S CHOICE14
I made this recipe up after I had gone out to dinner one night and had the best appetizer ever! It was a sort of flat bread topped with mushrooms, spinach and feta cheese. When I asked the servers at the...
- EDITOR'S CHOICE2
I learned the hard way not to put an ice pack directly on my skin. Here's how to treat ice burns quickly, and how to avoid them as well.