Mini Smoked Salmon And Cheese Twice Baked Potatoes
Healthy Recipes - Mini Smoked Salmon and Cheese Loaded Potato Skins
This is a great healthy recipe and a variation of a popular dish. This snack version is a great finger food whether you are watching World Cup Soccer, having a graduation party, or just want a tasty morsel for appetizers before dinner.
These are super easy to make and are usually the first appetizers to leave the building! Try them and I think you will find that the recipe is definitely a keeper!
Makes 12 servings (1 serving = 1 stuffed potato half)
- 6 small Yukon gold or red potatoes (2 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspon black pepper
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) finely grated white cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped smoked salmon (1 ounce) - substitute another kind of fatty fish such as tuna, etc.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Rub potatoes with oil - sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place potatoes on jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray
- Bake at 400 degrees for 35 minutes - or until tender
- Remove from oven - cool for 10 minutes
- Cut potatoes in half crosswise. Cut off a small portion of the rounded edge - so the potato will sit upright
- Carefully scoop out about 1 teaspoon of pulp from each half. Leave shells intact
- Combine the potato pulp, milk, butter, pepper, cheese and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a bowl
- Spoon about 1 heaping teaspoon potato mixture back into the potato shells.
- Arrange stuff potatoes on jelly-roll pan and top each with 1/2 teaspoon chopped salmon
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes - or until thoroughly heated through
Recipe courtesy Cooking Light magazine April 2007
Filled Potatoes Around the World
While we may think that we have a corner on the market so to speak when it comes to filled potatoes, actually this is a popular dish worldwide.
Here in the United States, we call this particular style of cooking by several terms - loaded potato skins, filled potatoes, and twice-baked potatoes.
In the US, we generally use ingredients such as bacon, cheese, butter and cream (and the pulp of the potatoes we removed sometimes - as in twice-baked potatoes).
In England, these are known as jacket potatoes. In the UK, they fill them with such things as baked beans, curried chicken, tuna, prawns, chili con carne and more!
They were also sold on the streets of London mostly in autumn and winter months in the 1880's.
In Scotland, they are filled with haggis which is a mixture of sheep organs, oatmeal and suet (among other things).
In Turkey, these are called Kumpir and are considered a 'fast food' because people generally eat them on the go. They are stuffed with kasar cheese, mayonnaise, ketchup, pickles, sweet corn, sausage, carrots, mushrooms and Russian salad among other things.
As you can see, this is a rather universal dish although from country to country, the ingredients may change. However, the basic underlying concept is still the same....Cook the potatoes, scoop out the pulp (in some cases) and fill it with something else!
Sometimes the toppings are just added to the already cooked potato and eaten as an entire meal.
No matter how you fill your potatoes or what recipe you use, this is a wonderful side dish or in this mini version's case, a great appetizer.
Experiment with other foods or stuffings and see where your imagination takes you.
More Sources for Twice-Baked Potatoes
- Baby new potatoes stuffed with haggis
Cook some baby new potatoes, preferably those with a waxy texture for a better result.
- Stuffed Baked Potato (Kumpir)
- How to Cook Jacket Potatoes
Doesn't the smell of hot jacket potatoes drive you crazy? It is the perfect delicacy for veggies and can be taken with any other dish. Learning how to cook jacket potatoes is fairly easy. It can be done on a day when you are tired and not in the mood
- How to Make Loaded Potato Skins | eHow.com
How to Make Loaded Potato Skins. Who doesn't love potato skins? Crispy and loaded with cheese and bacon, they are the perfect snack!
- Rachael Ray Show - Food - Mini Twice-Baked Potatoes
These little guys are stuffed with bacon, cheese and sour cream. What's not to love?
- Potato Skins Recipe | Simply Recipes
Crispy cheese potato skins, baked to a crisp, then topped with cheddar cheese, bacon, sour cream and green onions.
- Recipe for Twice Baked Potatoes: Video Series | eHow Videos
Watch an expert chef prepare twice baked potatoes in this free online cooking recipe video.
- Tiny Twice-Baked Potatoes - Fine Cooking Recipes, Techniques and Tips
How to make Tiny Twice-Baked Potatoes with 24 baby Yukon Gold or red potatoes, each about 2 inches across (2 to 2-1/4 lb.)
- Mini Twice-Baked Potato Appetizers Recipe - Laura\'s Best Recipes
Laura's Best Recipes: A Collection of Culinary Creations
Jacket Potato Ideas
More by this Author
Nachos is a favorite for many people - for dinner or for a snack/appetizer. With this healthy recipe for Pork Tenderloin Nachos, you can eliminate the guilt of making nachos or eating them! This is a recipe that I...
I made this recipe up after I had gone out to dinner one night and had the best appetizer ever! It was a sort of flat bread topped with mushrooms, spinach and feta cheese. When I asked the servers at the...
In a tight economy, how much should you pay a pet sitter? It depends on many factors including what kind of pet, age of the pet, what the pet sitter has to do and even how far the pet sitter has to drive to take care...