Healthy Recipes For A Quick and Easy Dinner Party
Healthy Recipes - Quick and Easy Dinner Party
Quick and easy healthy recipes are a must-have in the realm of entertaining. Sometimes it is a spur-of-the-moment get-together that takes you unaware - but you don't have to panic!
Knowing that you can create wonderfully simple yet healthy dinner party menus is a gift that we can all give ourselves so that we have less stress and more time to enjoy what really matters - our friends and family.
Sometimes it is okay to experiment and go 'all out' with labor-intensive menus for dinner parties, but most often it is the quick and easy menus that we put together that are the most memorable - at least for our guests, but probably for us, too!
Quick and Easy Grilled Gorgonzola Bruschetta with Walnuts and Apples
Makes 12 servings - 1 bruschetta and 2 apple slices
Substitute blue cheese for this wonderful appetizer or even feta - several cheeses go splendidly in this recipe.
Prep time is 15 minutes max and cook time 4 minutes.
- 1/3 cup crumbled Gorgonzola or other cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon brandy, cognac, or Grand Marnier
- 1/4-1/3 cup of finely chopped walnuts
- Dash of pepper
- 12 1-ounce slices of French bread or other crusty bread - cut diagonally - cut slices about 1 inch thick
- Cooking spray
- 6 garlic cloves, halved (or roast a head of garlic until soft in the grill or in the oven and squeeze garlic out of 6 cloves)
- 3 Granny Smith or other tart apple - each one cut into 8 pieces
- Prepare grill.
- Combine cheese, butter, liqueur, pepper and walnuts in small bowl and stir until blended together.
- Spray the grill rack with cooking spray - place bread slices on rack and cook about 2 minutes per side until lightly browned.
- Remove from grill and rub with garlic - either roasted or cut edges of garlic on 1 side of each slice of bread.
- Place about 2 teaspoons of cheese mixture on bread slice and serve with apple wedges (2 slices of apple per toast).
is a great appetizer because of the combination of cheese and apple
with walnuts but it also gets the grill fired up for the main entree!
Quick and Easy Basic Green Salad and Champagne Vinegar Vinaigrette
Makes 4 servings
Prep time is about 8 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion (or shallots)
- 1-1/2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Salt if desired
- Pepper if desired
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 6 cups torn lettuce (red leaf, green leaf, romaine or combo of all)
- 1/4 cup vertically sliced red onion
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved if on the larger side
- Mix together minced onion and vinegar in small bowl - let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add olive oil, salt, peper, Dijon mustard or any other seasonings - mix well with a whisk.
- Place lettuce, sliced onion and tomatoes in a large salad bowl. Toss gently to combine ingredients.
- Drizzle vinaigrette over the salad - toss again.
- Serve immediately.
Quick and Easy Flank Steak with Pine Nuts and Cilantro
Makes 4 servings - 3 ounces of beef and 1 tablespoon of pesto
This is a delicious pesto type flank steak done with a pesto of pine nuts and cilantro.
Prep time is about 13 minutes and cook time the same.
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted *
- 1 tablespoon chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash of pepper
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 3 tablespoon plain Greek yogurt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 1-pound flank steak, trimmed
- Cooking spray
- Prepare grill.
- Place cilantro, pine nuts, jalapeno, salt, pepper and garlic to blender or food processor. Process until finely chopped (15 seconds or so). Add yogurt and juice and process again until smooth.
- Spray rack on grill with cooking spray. Place flank steak on grill and grill for 6 minutes on each side - or until desired degree of doneness. (About 130-135 degrees internal temperature on meat thermometer)
- Cut steak diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Serve with pesto sauce.
Substitute basil for cilantro.
Substitute almonds for pine nuts.
Dry Toasting Pine Nuts or Almonds
Place nuts in a small nonstick pain over medium heat and stirring frequently, brown in dry pan. Take off when lightly toasted - after about 2-4 minutes max.
Quick and Easy Green Beans with Toasted Almonds
Makes 4 servings
Prep time is about 14 minutes and cook time 8 minutes.
- 1 pound green beans, washed and trimmed
- 2 tablespoons of fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds, toasted (see above on toasting)
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1-1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt if desired
- Dash of black pepper
- 1 garlic clove minced, if desired
- Steam green beans for 7 minutes covered or until crisp-tender.
- Drain and return to pan. Add parsley and remaining ingredients.
- Toss to combine.
Quick and Easy Roasted Potatoes
Makes 8 servings
Prep time is 20 minutes if making Watercress Sauce, cook time 35 minutes.
Potatoes should be started after bruschetta is made, while other foods are cooking or being put together.
- 3 pounds small red potatoes skin on, washed and quartered
- 1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- Black pepper
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- If making watercress sauce, make that while oven is heating and put in fridge to chill.
- Combine potatoes, olive oil, salt and pepper in a bowl or in a zip-lock bag, turning to coat potatoes.
- Turn out onto a pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 35 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally.
- 1-1/2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup trimmed watercress
- 1/3 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions or chives
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon balsamic or other vinegar
Place all ingredients in blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Cover and chill.
Quick and Easy Tapioca with Toasted Coconut
Makes 4 servings
This is a marvelous end to a great meal.
Prep time on this recipe is about 7 minutes, cook time 3 minutes.
- 1-1/2 cup light coconut milk* (see below)
- 1-1/2 cup skim milk
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 8 teaspoons uncooked quick-cooking tapioca
- 4 tablespoons egg substitute (or use 4 tablespoons real egg)
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons flaked sweetened toasted coconut* (see below)
- Combine coconut milk, skim milk, sugar, tapioca and egg substitute with salt in medium saucepan and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir constantly. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Divide the mixture evenly if desired between 4 bowls.
- Cover and chill until thickened.
- Sprinkle with toasted coconut.
- If desired, serve with light cookies or a bit of fresh fruit.
Substitute unsweetened soy milk for coconut milk if unavailable or if desired.
Substitute whole milk combined with 1 teaspoon coconut extract.
If unsweetened coconut, add 1-2 tablespoons of powdered sugar - then toast in 350 degree oven for 2-4 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds.
Summing It Up
Having a dinner party doesn't have to be a major stressor. As you can see, this dinner is relatively simple and all the dishes are super easy to make and require very little in the way of time.
In preparing dinners of any kind on any occasion, it is all about getting things together at the same time. Having dishes and foods that blend with each other and that are easy to make simultaneously or one after the other really helps - it all depends on the prep involved with each dish.
These recipes are all very simply done but delicious and healthy parts of a great dinner party.
One thing I try to do when I'm cooking for dinner parties and I know that there will be unexpected delays or distractions is to try and 'prep' as many foods the day ahead or earlier in the day as possible.
For instance, if there are things that need to be chopped or blended that can safely sit in the refrigerator until time to cook or put them together, I have them in small bags or bowls labeled and ready to go. That cuts down further the cooking time along with the anxiety factor of trying to do too many things at the same time.
I also set my table or put out my dishes/plates so that I know where things will go ahead of time so I don't have to forage around at the last minute to make it all work. Sometimes being prepared is the best gift you can give yourself!
Entertaining is a favorite hobby of mine and I love trying out new and delicious recipes on friends and family. The key is being organized and then keeping it fairly simple. No one likes a stressed hostess or cook! I try to remember that the main reason I am cooking is because I love to but then because I love these people.
My motto when I'm cooking is to just enjoy it and relish the time I have to spend with people I love. It also is about creating easy and pleasing recipes that people want to take with them!
The main goal is enjoying the food and the ambience - If you can come up with quick and easy, pleasing meals to boot, it's all the more fun!
Tips on Successful Dinner Parties
Have a Dinner Party for Under $25
Dinner Party Tips
Sources on Quick and Easy Dinner Parties
- Quick and Easy Buffet Entertaining Menus - Simple Make Ahead Recipes Menus Buffet Recipes Party Tips
Entertaining is very easy when you set up a buffet with make ahead recipes: for soups, salads, sandwiches, and tostadas. These four party choices are fun, quick, simple, and delicious. Find recipes, hints, tips, and great ideas for easy entertaining.
- Fun Dinner Parties - Quick and Easy Dinner Party Guide
Looking for fun dinner parties? Anyone can host a successful, quick and easy dinner party with these ideas!
- Dinner Party Menus - Entertaining Recipes - Company Menus - Special Recipes
Entertaining is a wonderful way to give part of yourself to your friends and family. And it can be just as enjoyable for you if you have easy recipes put together into elegant menus. These entertaining menus are fancy enough for the holidays, and sim
- Easy Dinner Party Recipes
Dinner parties don't have to involve an overwhelming amount of work or cost a fortune. Try these easy and frugal ideas, and enjoy hosting your dinner party.
- Try these quick and easy dinner party dishes - Today: Food: Recipe
Planning a holiday gathering? Ina Garten shares some time-saving tips for preparing festive fare. Check out the recipes.
- Easy Dinner Recipes for the Perfect Dinner Party.
Tried and tested easy dinner recipes designed for maximum effect but with minimum effort...selected by a professional Chef!
More Hubs on Dinner Parties
- Dinner Party Games
Great food means great times! Bring your warmest friends! Conversation is essential to any dinner party Throwing a Dinner Party - Games and Entertainment Dinner Parties are a great way to get people...
- Five Essentials for a Dazzling Dinner Party
Become the Hottest Host in Town! Lets start with the wine. Buy a bottle. Drink a glass or two. Relax and plan your dinner party. Whether its a casual dinner with friends or a holiday dinner with family,...
- Going to a Dinner Party: basic guidelines
You have been invited to a dinner party and are wondering what to bring. Now this will depend on who has invited you. If it is family or someone you know well, then you know what to do, but what if it is a...
- Formal Dinner Party
It seems as though much of the gracious entertaining that used to be commonplace in society has gone by the wayside. Elegant get-togethers have largely been replaced by casual
- What to Bring to a Dinner Party
Youve been invited to a dinner party and now youre wondering if you need to bring a gift. Under most circumstances, you are not obligated to bring anything. Some groups of friends just take turns...
- Dinner Party Music CDs
Youve been cooking all day for your dinner party. You carefully chose a menu that you think your guests will love. Plus, you love having the opportunity to entertain doing what you love cooking...
- Top 10 Tips For Selecting Cheese for a Dinner Party
One of the things that many people love to have at a dinner party is a cheese tray. You can go buy a sampler of cheese to make things easy on yourself. But if you want to be more ambitious than that and...
- English Conversations / Dinner Party Ideas
Improve English Speaking through everyday conversations - Dinner Party Ideas I have written a detailed book English conversations for all occasions, to learn English as Foreign Language. This tutorial...
- Grilled Pork Roast: An Impressive but Easy Dinner Pa...
Roasting a small, pre-marinated pork roast on the grill makes a delicious meal with surprisingly little effort. Add seasonal veggies and serve with salad for a simple dinner party.
- Looking for the Perfect Dinner Party Hostess Gift? T...
Coming up with hostess gifts can sometimes be challenging. If you're invited to a dinner party, one of the best (and easiest) hostess gift ideas is wine, assuming of course that the person holding the party...
More by this Author
Tarragon Chicken is actually a French dish and is really called Poulet a l’Estragon. If that's too much of a mouthful, then just call it Tarragon Chicken! This is one of my favorite recipes to make for company...
Looking for high fiber recipes? Or even recipes higher in fiber? This meatloaf is a wonderful way to increase fiber in your diet but do it painlessly. Even though it is high fiber, it is delicious. ...
- EDITOR'S CHOICE2
I learned the hard way not to put an ice pack directly on my skin. Here's how to treat ice burns quickly, and how to avoid them as well.