Spinach Quiche Recipes: Quick And Easy Healthy Recipe For Spinach Quiche
Healthy Recipes - Spinach Quiche
This is a great version of a fantastically delicious quiche - Spinach Quiche. This is a favorite offering on breakfast and brunch menus and one of my personal favorites.
This recipe is from the Everyday Gourmet Diabetes Cookbook - a cookbook I recently acquired and have been going through to find new and improved ways to cook for the prevention of diabetes.
This version of the recipe uses seasoned bread crumbs instead of a traditional crust although I changed that up a bit out of personal preference.
It also uses egg substitute for real eggs but if you wanted to add back in regular eggs you could very easily.
Overall, I think this is a wonderfully healthy recipe for an old favorite and one I will use over and over.
Calories = 190
Fat = 7 g
Calories from Fat = 35
Cholesterol = 5
Recipe for Spinach Quiche
Makes 8 servings
- Vegetable spray
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs (I substitute Panko bread crumbs)
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons canola oil (or olive oil) - divided
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon canola or olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion or shallot
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red bell pepper (or yellow)
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 4 cups coarsely chopped spinach, leaves only (about 1/4 pound)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt if desired
- Pepper to taste
- Herbs to taste
- 3/4 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (or 3 large eggs)
- 1-1/2 cups nonfat evaporated milk (or use skim milk)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Make crust - Lightly coat 9-inch pie plate with vegetable spray. In small bowl, combine bread crumbs, herbs and 2 tablespoons canola oil. Press this mixture evenly across the bottom and up the sides of pie plate. Spray lightly with vegetable spray, cover with waxed paper and place a second pie plate over the waxed paper. Press down firmly to compact the crust. Remove the top pie plate and wax paper.
- Sprinkle crust with grated cheese and set aside.
- Filling: In large skillet, heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Sauté onion, pepper, and mushrooms for 5 minutes or until onion and mushrooms begin to soften.
- Add spinach, salt, pepper, and sauté just until spinach begins to wilt - about 3 minutes. Spread spinach, mushroom, etc. mixture over the cheese in pie plate.
- Whisk together egg substitute and milk - pour the liquid over the spinach mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Set on wire rack to cool for about 10 minutes. Serve warm cut into wedges.
Calories = 613
Fat = 48.2 g
Cholesterol = 249
Traditional Spinach Quiche
This is a traditional spinach quiche - as listed on allrecipes.com
Servings = 6
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- 1 (6 ounce) package herb and garlic feta, crumbled
- 1 (8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar cheese
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked deep dish pie crust
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Sauté garlic and onion in butter until lightly browned, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in spinach, mushrooms, feta and 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon mixture into pie crust.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Season with salt and pepper. Pour into the pastry shell, allowing egg mixture to thoroughly combine with spinach mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle top with remaining Cheddar cheese, and bake an additional 35 to 40 minutes, until set in center.
- Allow to stand 10 minutes before serving.
Summing up Spinach Quiche Revamp
By using this healthy recipe, you have taken a generally high-fat dish and made it low-fat.
You have also substituted egg substitute for real eggs and beefed up the flavor by using herbs, onions and mushrooms.
You have also basically cut the amount of cheese in half and you have ended up with a wonderfully delicious much healthier version of an old classic.
Experiment a bit and add a tiny bit of cheese and maybe a tad of crumbled bacon for 'special occasions' if you feel the need to hit a happy medium between the 2 recipes. Any way you cook it though, Spinach Quiche is a wonderful breakfast recipe!
Panko and How to Use it
How to Make Spinach Quiche
Mini Breakfast Spinach Quiches
More Resources for Healthier Quiche Recipes
- Quiche - Cooking Tips and Techniques
- How to Make a Spinach Quiche | eHow.com
How to Make a Spinach Quiche. Quiche is an extremely versatile dish, with literally hundreds of variants available with a range of ingredients from the mundane to the exotic. Spinach isn't a particularly exotic ingredient, but...
- How to Make a Delicious Reduced Fat Quiche Lorraine | eHow.com
How to Make a Delicious Reduced Fat Quiche Lorraine. If you love Quiche Lorraine, but want a version that is lower in fat and calories that the original, try this one! It's delicious!
- How To Make a Crustless Quiche
Quiches are easy and versitile. Although by the usual definition, a quiche must be in a crust, it isn't necessary. Here's a step-by-step to making a crustless quiche.
- Cooks.com - Recipes - Low Fat Quiche
- Low Fat Quiche Recipie
More Hubs on Spinach Quiche
- Kitchen Adventures: Spinach-Feta-Onion Quiche
The situation: preparing for a cross-country move. The wish: to use up the food we have left in our apartment. The result: spinach-feta-caramelized onion quiche. As I prowled through our kitchen this...
- Quiche: A Meal for All Times
When I am in the mood for something that requires a bit of preparation but is realtively simple and with a deep flavour, one of the dishes, that I like to make is quiche. Quiche is usually...
- quiche recipes
Like pancakes, quiche is one of those diverse foods you can have for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day (if I'm feeling motivated enough to get up early and make it) and...
- Real Man's Quiche Makes Its Own Crust
How about a quick and easy meal for any time of the day, that makes leftovers usable for breakfast, lunch or snack, is healthy and tastes good! That could describe this cheesy spinach quiche, which is fast...
- Simple Spinach Quiche Recipe
This simple spinach quiche makes a filling and flavorful meal. When we have eggs to use up, quiche is one of our favorite solutions.
- HubPages Cookbook: Spinach Recipes
Spinach is one of the healthiest and most nutrient-dense foods in the world. Low in calories and fat, it is an excellent source of iron, calcium, magnesium, dietary fiber, folic acid, vitamin A, vitamin C,...
- Easy Quiche Suppers
A quiche with a green salad and a glass of wine or beer makes an excellent dinner which can be prepared in about an hour. Even better, you can make it up on the weekend, freeze it, then pull it out and heat...
- Real Men Don't Eat Quiche - Until Now
This spicy south-west crab quiche will not only make you look like a gourmet at parties, it will also help change everyone's misconception about what
More by this Author
You can make a jumbo or extra large muffin from any muffin recipe out there. You just have to know how to tweak the recipe in terms of baking time and amount you put in the pan. If you don't have a jumbo muffin pan,...
Make a delicious family favorite from scratch - breakfast pizza. It's quick, it's easy and it's delicious.
A great way to grow potatoes in small spaces. Try growing potatoes in containers to save space and grow in an environment that's easy to maintain.