How To Make Watermelon Salad Three Ways
Healthy Recipes - Watermelon Salad
I actually had never heard of watermelon salad until a year or so ago and then came across a recipe for it in my favorite magazine, Cooking Light. I decided to just give it a try and discovered, much to my surprise, that it was absolutely delicious.
One great thing about watermelon salad is that it gives me an opportunity to use some of my overabundance of mint leaves! It seems no matter how many times I try and contain this herb in my garden, it just keeps overflowing and growing and growing.
That aside, watermelon salad is a wonderfully light and delicate change of pace from the usual summer salads that I make and one that everyone seems to enjoy. There are many variations and I decide to include all 3 of my favorites since they are all so good! As you can tell, there are many, many more possibilities as well as these recipes.
Watermelon Salad with Feta and Grapes
Makes 8 servings (serving size: about 1 cup salad and 2 teaspoons cheese)
- 2 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled seedless cucumber
- 2 cups (1-inch) cubed seedless watermelon
- 2 cups halved red grapes
- 3/4 cup peeled, cubed Asian pear (about 1 pear)
- 1/2 cup non-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lime rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/3 cup (3 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- Combine 4 fruit ingredients in a large bowl.
- Combine sour cream, honey, rind, juice, and pepper in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Pour sour cream mixture over fruit mixture; toss slightly to coat.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
Calories: 118 (34% from fat)
Fat: 4.4g (sat 2.8g,mono 0.5g,poly 0.1g)
Watermelon Salad with Spinach, Strawberries and Cucumber
Makes 5 servings (serving size: 2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon dried tarragon
- Dash of salt
- 4 cups torn spinach
- 4 cups thinly sliced romaine lettuce
- 2 cups (1-inch) watermelon balls
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1/2 cup sliced cucumber
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced onion, separated into rings
- Combine honey through the salt (7 ingredients) in a bowl; stir well with a whisk. Set aside.
- Combine spinach and remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
- Drizzle dressing over salad and toss a bit to coat.
Calories: 72 (13% from fat)
Fat: 1.8g (sat 0.4g,mono 0.8g,poly 0.4g)
Watermelon Salad with Mint and Red Onion
Makes 12 servings (serving size: about 1/2 cup salad and about 1 1/2 teaspoons cheese)
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 4 cups cubed seeded watermelon
- 1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) feta cheese, crumbled (or substitute other similar cheese)
- Combine onion and juice in a medium bowl; let stand 10 minutes.
- Add watermelon, olives, parsley, and mint.
- Cover and chill 1 hour.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
Calories: 46 (47% from fat)
Fat: 2.4g (sat 0.9g,mono 1.3g,poly 0.2g)
Summing It Up
If you are looking for a unique summer salad that is light and flavorful, try one of these 3 watermelon salads.
Also feel free to interchange the ingredients - I routinely add red onions to my watermelon salads no matter which one I'm making and I do the same with mint because it just tastes so good together.
Be creative and discover what other fruits, cheeses, etc. you can add to watermelon salads - another personal favorite not listed here is to add raspberries. It makes a delicious addition to a watermelon salad. Most of all, enjoy the bounty of summertime fruit!
Watermelon and Feta Salad
Cooking with Watermelon
Watermelon Salad Made Easy
More Sources for Watermelon and Watermelon Salad
- Watermelon BBQ Sauce Recipe
Watermelon is a sweet offset to the balsamic vinegar and soy sauce in this barbecue sauce favorite.
- Watermelon Recipes
Watermelon Recipes. Watermelon is great with no embellishment, but you can also cook with it.
- How To Make Grilled Watermelon Salad (Food & Drink: Salads)
Videojug is the online video 'encyclopaedia of life' where you can watch thousands of informative how-to videos for free including how to Make Grilled Watermelon Salad.
- Watermelon Salad with Mint Leaves, How To Make Watermelon Salad, Watermelon Salad Recipes, Watermelo
Watermelon Salad with Mint Leaves, How To Make Watermelon Salad, Watermelon Salad Recipes
- How to Make Watermelon Salad | eHow.com
How to Make Watermelon Salad. When we think of Watermelon, we tend to think of it as a refreshing summer fruit, rather than a side salad that can be part of a meal. Watermelon is a versatile fruit which can take the place of a...
- Food and Cooking - Wonderful Watermelon
- Watermelon Storage and Selection - How to choose a watermelon
Learn how to select and store the best watermelon. Does thumping work? Get the answers here.
More Hubs on Watermelon Salad and Watermelon
- Special recipe.
I bet you can't find this recipe anywhere in the internet; for that matter anywhere in the world, except in my website! Unless some smart alecs "copy and paste" from my website. Why am I so sure? Because as...
- Watermelon and Feta Cheese Salad. This Tastes So Muc...
Watermelon and feta (or another salty cheese) is a match made in heaven, and this easy salad can be made in only a few minutes. It's a refreshing start to any meal!
- Watermelon, the sweet and refreshing Summer Fruit
There is nothing more refreshing and thirst quenching like a juicy slice of watermelon fruit in summer. There are numerous benefits of consuming this fruit. Watermelon is a good source of Vitamin C,Vitamin A, vitamin B6, vitamin B1, magnesium and pot
- Watermelon and Its Health Benefits
Watermelon and Its Health Benefits. Now we are talking, watermelon is a fruit I love to eat anytime of the day specially in summer when they are aplenty. I like the red watermelon (yellow watermelon is also...
- Watermelon is healthy
Watermelon Watermlon is one of Jamaicas fruits grown in the parish of St. Elizabeth which is regarded as bread basket parish on the island. It is a member of the Cucurbitaceous family, and related to...
- Getting Creative With Watermelon
Watermelon is a great food that is healthy, inexpensive in season, easily available in season, and if you get creative you can come up with tons of delicious options. Packed full of water and nutrients...
- Watermelon Salad
I love cool crisp salads in the summer. Nothing screams summer quite like fresh watermelon! Watermelon salad is a light healthy treat when created with the freshest ingredients and served over your favorite...
- Why Watermelons Are Good To Eat
Watermelons are thought to have originated in India, but may have come from tropical Africa. They were enjoyed by the Ancient Egyptians but were unknow in Europe until the thirteeth century. In Italy, the...
More by this Author
I happened to try Shrimp and Spinach Enchiladas the other day while I was out at lunch and I have to say that they were fabulous! I'd never tried them before and decided to try my hand at making them. If you...
Try this great best recipe for pot roast in a dutch oven. It's delicious and easy.
EMDR therapy is proving very successful in dealing with many anxiety and panic disorders. Learn how you can self-administer EMDR therapy any time and any place.