Healthy Risotto and Wild Rice Recipes
Risotto is an Italian rice dish that generally served as a first course in a meal. This popular dish is celebrated with a yearly festival in May called the Piedmont Risotto Festival in Sessame, Italy. You will love this recipe!
Risotto with Baked Eggplant and Salad
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
- 8 oz. button mushrooms, cleaned & sliced
- 1/2 cup broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup peas
- 1/4 cup tamari or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic flakes, dry
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup brown rice, short grain
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Place rice in a large pot of boiling water, then reduce heat to simmer and cook until tender (45 minutes to 1 hour). Stir with a fork occassionally.
- Place mushrooms, broccoli, onions, garlic, and seasoning in a bowl. Sprinkle tamari or soy sauce over the vegetables and mix. Cover & refrigerate to marinate, mixing occasionally. Soak cashews in 1 cup of water, at least 20 minutes. Blend the cashews until creamy.
- When rice is tender, stir in marinated vegetables (but not excess marinade) and cashew cream. Increase heat to low and cook 5 minutes. Add additional water as needed. Stir in peas and nutritional yeast. Continue cooking, covered, stirring frequently, to a creamy texture (not watery). The sauce will thicken slightly when removed from heat. Serve as a side dish.
Wild Rice Casserole
This is a great casserole for a holiday dinner. It has no fat and lots of flavor and goes with anything. You'll love it!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Ready In: 1 hour
Cooking Wild Rice
- 8-oz. button mushrooms
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 3/4 cup water
- 2 chicken-flavored, vegan bouillon cubes
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1/2 teaspoon dry thyme or rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Boil 2 3/4 cups of water in a covered, medium pot. Stir in all rice with a fork, then reduce heat to a simmer. Add two chicken-flavored, vegan bouillon cubes.
- Wash mushrooms and slice. Peel and dice onion. Add mushrooms, onions, and spices to cooking rice; stir with a fork and cover. Increase heat to medium-high. When it boils, remove from heat.
- Place rice mixture into a 1-quart casserole dish, cover, and bake for 35 minutes.
More by this Author
Easy painting activities for children of all ages. These painting ideas for preschool art projects are a healthy way for kids to express themselves and to learn. You will love these art and craft ideas using paint....
There you are on a first date with a man who seems perfect. Is he the one? Is he your soul mate? You connect so well with this man. You want this to develop into a serious relationship. You feel...
Air Conditioning scams that take money from homeowners' pockets are very common and an easy way for technicians to make big profits for their company. Learn what scams are used and how to save money.
No comments yet.