Blueberry and Matcha Smoothie Recipe
Blueberry, Tart Cherry Juice and Matcha Smoothie
How would you like to meet your antioxidant ORAC recommendations, get your daily vitamin & mineral needs, have a caffeine boost, improve mental alertness, get a dose of melatonin, and please your taste buds in one smoothie? This very healthy smoothie tastes great and is perfect for busy day.
Healthy Smoothie Recipe
- 1 cup fresh blueberries (frozen are great too - I actually prefer them frozen for smoothies)
- 1 cup mixed berries (raspberries, strawberries, OR make it another cup of blueberries)
- 2 tsp Matcha powder (if caffeine makes you jittery, or you already had your coffee, you may want to reduce this to 1 tsp)
- 1 packet of Emergen-C Heart Health ( I use Black Cherry, or any of the berry flavors)
- 1 cup Tart Cherry Juice (reduce to half a cup if you are monitoring sugar and/or calorie intake)
- 1 cup ice
- NOTE! if you need additional fiber you can add 1 tsp of Metamucil, or a brand of your choice - I use Metamucil orange flavor. You won't even know it is there - well, maybe later you will ;)
- If you'd like this to be a bit sweeter you can add one packet of Splenda, or 1 tsp of agave or honey
Place all the berries in the blender first and then layer the juice and ice on top of the berries. The powdered matcha, Emergen-C and fiber are last. (why? if you put the powdered products in first they stick to the bottom of the blender and do not mix well.)
Blend well and pour into your favorite glass, or on the go mug. Enjoy your very healthy smoothie!
A note about the matcha - it has caffeine! I strongly suggest you only add the matcha if it is early in the day. This smoothie recipe is best for morning consumption.
Diabetics beware! Despite all its goodness, this smoothie is a bit high in sugar. Read your labels and monitor your glucose. Check the sugar carb count on your particular brand of blueberries and tart cherry juice.
What is in it
- A powerful punch of antioxidants - cancer and disease fighters!
- Melatonin - balances your body clock by assisting your waking and sleeping pattern. If you suffer from insomnia then melatonin is a must for your diet. Melatonin is a natural ingredient in tart cherry juice - read more.
- Vitamin C - helps improve your immune system and promotes healthy skin
- Various vitamins and minerals - improve ocular health, mental alertness and more.
If you would like to learn more about the specific health benefits behind my recipe for Purple Power - Matcha Smoothie please read;
These articles cite the scientific studies and findings of these amazing foods. I'm not a Doctor and I cannot claim what cannot be proven. However, I can do my research and present the studies that support these findings. I suggest you use your own due diligence as well. As always - check with your Doctor in regard to your own personal health and diet concerns.
Love Matcha? Try this hub!
© 2011 Marisa Hammond Olivares
More by this Author
Baking an apple dump cake is a very easy and inexpensive treat. This dessert takes less than 5 minutes to prepare and only needs about 25 minutes to bake. This is perfect for last minute desserts and can be topped off...
100 matcha recipes! Recipes include everything from matcha eggnog, matcha cookies, matcha smoothies, matcha brownies to matcha martinis! Check out the recipes below! - Enjoy! MissOlive
Studies show that cherry juice has incredible benefits for nutrition, muscle health, and disease prevention. Why not sleep better, feel better, and live better?