Healthy Ways to Prepare Fish and Seafood with Great Tasting Recipe Ideas
Fish can be both healthy and great tasting
Great Ways to Prepare Fresh Fish
There are many great ways to prepare fish in a low fat and healthy way. Methods to avoid are deep frying with a batter coating, pan frying with a thick and crunchy coating that will soak up oil, and baking with lots of butter or a thick layer of full-fat mayonnaise. All of these methods will contribute a large amount of unnecessary calories to the overall dish.
Here are some examples of healthy ways to prepare fish.
- Grilling - Griling fish with a light brush of olive or flavored oil or a marinade to help prevent sticking will provide a little flavor to the fish.
- Baking - Bake fatty fish by themselves and lean fish with a little liquid in the pan to prevent them from drying out.
- Broiling - Place the fish in a non-stick broiler pan a few inches under the broiling element. Use smaller cuts of fish or place the fish lower in the oven to prevent it from drying out.
- Poaching - Use a poacher pan to easily remove the cooked fish from the pot when finished poaching. A light court-bouillon is all that is needed for poaching.
- Sauteeing - Saute fish fillets with a small amount of oil in a hot pan to get a nicely browned fillet without a lot of excess fat.
What is your favorite way to prepare fish?
Of all the ways to prepare fish and seafood, which is a favorite?See results without voting
Healthy Recipe Ideas for Fish and Seafood
Looking for ways to prepare your favorite fish in healthy ways? Try these easy favorites:
- Sauteed Rockfish with a Sweet Curry Sauce - This recipe sautees fresh rockfish with a little oil and is served with basmatti rice and a sweet curry sauce made with coconut milk and mango nectar.
- Create a one-dish fish Veracruz - This easy recipe is made on the stove top. Simmer fish in a mixture of fresh vegetables, chilies and tomatoes. If a spicier dish is desired, use hot chilies when preparing the dish.
- Poached fish in a salad - Poach a fish fillet of your favorite variety and flake. Use the flaked fish in a green salad and top with a homemade vinaigrette.
- Marinated and baked fillets - Marinate fillets of fish in a light marinade made with white wine vinegar and olive oil. Season with dried herbs. Bake at a moderate oven setting until the fish flakes in the center.
Fish Preparation Ideas
More by this Author
Biscuits are supposed to be light, fluffy, moist and at times either rich, savory or sweet. If biscuits are tough and heavy, then a few things could be the problem. Here are some reasons why biscuits may be tough or...
A matignon is a little-referred to term for an important part of cooking. It is a combination of vegetables and other flavorful ingredients (bacon and ham are two popular additions), and can be used as an ingredient or...
Have a rhinestone design kit and lost the instructions? Or perhaps received one second-hand or as a hand-me-down? Here are basic instructions on how to use it, how to change the plungers, and how to identify the size of...