Hearty Beef Stew Recipe for Your Crock Pot
During the cold winter months, nothing beats coming home from a busy day at work to the aroma of a fully cooked hearty beef stew dinner simmering in your slow cooker. By spending a little time the evening before preparing the meat, chopping fresh vegetables, and assembling the ingredients, you can have a warming and nutritious meal waiting for you when you walk in the door from work.
Hearty Beef Stew Recipe
Don't let the long ingredient list or preparation steps scare you. The ingredients are inexpensive things that you probably buy on a regular basis when you go to the supermarket. The dish is easy to assemble, and is well worth the little bit of work it takes to prepare.
- 2 pounds of beef stew meat
- 5 medium potatoes (russet or red)
- 4 medium carrots
- 2 celery ribs
- 1 large onion
- 4 tablespoons of Hormel Real Bacon pieces
- 1/4 cup of all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon of pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 can of beef broth (14 1/2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 can of tomato soup (condenced)
- 1/3 cup of water
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons of cold water
1. Wash all of the vegetables.
2. Cut the potatoes into chunks approximately 1/2 all the way around
3. Slice the carrots and celery
4. chop the onion
5. Place the potatoes, carrots, celery, and bacon pieces in your slow cooker.
6. Place the flour and half of the salt and pepper into a plastic bag. Add the stew meat, close the bag, and shake so that the meat is coated by the seasoned flour mixture.
7. Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet on the stovetop.
8. Brown the beef and onions in the hot olive oil.
9. Transfer the meat and onions to the slow cooker using a slotted spoon to allow the oil to drip away.
10. Add the remaining ingredients, except for the cornstarch and cold water, to the slow cooker and stir gently.
11. Cover and cook on low for 8 - 10 hours.
12. About thirty minutes before you are ready to eat, mix the cornstarch and cold water together and add to the stew mixture.
13. Replace the lid and allow to simmer for thirty minutes to allow the stew to thicken.
14. Prior to serving, remove the Bay leaf.
Enjoy Your Dinner!
Serve in individual bowls with crusty bread, cornbread, or crackers. Add a great salad, and you have the perfect complete meal to keep you warm and snug inside your home when it's cold outside.
More by this Author
Are you looking for a great place to enjoy a leisurely Sunday brunch in Mobile, AL. There are many great places where you can enjoy a wonderful weekend brunch meal all over town. 4 Favorite Restaurants for Sunday...