Crockpot Hot and Sour Soup (Brilliantly Tweaked By Hecate.)
Kung Fu Fighting!!
Good for what ails ya!
As I mentioned in my Natural Cold Remedies hub, a good hot and sour soup can be a great remedy for colds and clogged sinuses. Not to mention it just tastes awesome!
Well, I've been searching far and wide for a recipe that tastes as authentic as the restaurant, but also have ingredients that I can buy without taking up my staff and making an epic 1 hour journey to the nearest Asian Grocery.
(Ok, I admit there are some downsides to living out here in the edge of suburbia. Wal-mart's ethnic foods selection is like 3 foot wide and includes Ramen noodles. Sigh.
Anyway, I found a recipe online, but I had to tweak it quite a bit to suit my tastes and convenience. This is the final result and I hope you enjoy.
- 8oz of fresh mushrooms, pre-sliced
- 6 oz of "Broccoli Slaw" (Fresh broccoli, carrots, and red cabbage shredded. You can find it at Wal-mart)
- 1 8-ounce cans bamboo shoots, rinsed
- 1 14-ounce package extra-firm water-packed tofu, drained
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 4 1/3 cups water, divided
- 4 cups Vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoon of "Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce" (Has a picture of a Rooster on the front)
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- THIN egg noodles (about 6 ounces dry) or lo mein noodles. Wal-mart, no lo mein noodles. Sigh.
- 1 cup sliced scallions
(These are all ingredients found at my local Wal-mart. Look for the Sriracha, bamboo shoots, and soy sauce in the ethnic foods selection.)
- First the mushrooms; line the bottom of the crock pot with these delectable fungi. Top with the even more delectable broccoli slaw and bamboo shoots.
- Dice up the tofu into 1/2 inch pieces and bounce them merrily into the crock-pot. "Boing!" Ok, just gently dump them in. Sorry, I was just trying to make tofu sound more exciting. ( If you want to forgo the tofu all together, that's fine too. I personally am not tofu's biggest fan, but some people like the little chewy erasers in their hot and sour soup. Go figure.)
- Sprinkle your white pepper cover the tofu. What's the deal with white pepper anyway? I tasted it, and I couldn't taste a darn thing. It's kind of like paprika and parsley; they add something, but I'm not sure what!
- Here's the important part, the broth! Mix 4 cups water, vegetable broth, both vinegars, soy sauce, Sriracha sauce and ginger in a bowl. Mix it reallll good. Then rub a Buddha belly for good measure. Will it help? Can't hurt! Taste the mix before you dump it in the crock-pot. Not hot enough for ya? Add more Sriracha! Who needs a stomach lining anyway? It's overrated!
- Dump the broth in with the rest of the yummy concoction. Crank the heat up to high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. Personally, I think it's always better to cook on low. Slow and low, baby.
- After 8 hours on low (or 4 hours on high for you impatient people!) Take the remaining 1/3 cup water, cornstarch and sesame oil and whisk together in a bowl. You better not have any lumps. Seriously. Once it's lump free, stir in and cook for another 20 minutes. Stir in the dry noodles. Don't worry, they will cook fast! Cover for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with scallions, add more soy sauce and more Sriracha (more?!? Are you crazy?!?), if desired.
- Scoop out a bowl and taste the awesomeness. Did I really need to tell you this?
- Watch some cheesy Kung-Fu movies for a complete kick-a$$ evening.
- Remember to turn off the crock-pot before you go to bed!
- Ok, I'm just being silly now.
Check out more of my recipes
- Yummy Pepper Soup Recipe
A simple, good soup recipe for those cold winter days.
- Harry Potter Pumpkin Juice Punch For Thanksgiving and Halloween
Make your Thanksgiving celebration unique with this yummy punch!
- Healthy Make Ahead Wheat Waffle Mix
This make ahead waffle mix will save you money and time. It's yummy and good for you too!
- Lemon Poppy Seed Cake Recipe-For Imbolc, St. Bridget's Day, Goddess Brigid
Here's a yummy lemon poppy seed cake recipe for your Imbolc celebrations.
- Easy Low Fat Lasagna Recipe
Mmmm...Lasagna. Don't be scared, this one is easy, low fat, and delicious!
More by this Author
How can you tell if a snake is venomous? Let's compare two different snake species, one harmless (corn snake) one venomous (copperhead).
Tiger's Eye is a very powerful stone; it can bring you luck, courage and focus.
If you are looking for a great dog, look no further! Here's why Goldendoodles are the best designer dog, poodle breed mix for your home.