Herb Bread Rounds
It is possible that you have a favorite restaurant that serves a small loaf of bread to enjoy before your meal. It can be a brown or white round of lightly seasoned goodness or one of those cute tiny loaves. Whatever the shape, it is fun to share with others..
These small rounds are that kind of food. They have interesting seasonings which will complement your soup and salad. You can, of course, just eat it without any other foods. It stands alone nicely. You can serve it with seasoned olive oil for dipping. It has a dual texture---chewy outside + tender on the inside = Happy Diner.
You can bring out the cave person in you if you are so inclined....pull apart your little loaf and offer the rest to others.
This bread does take time. It is not labor intensive but you must allow time for the dough to rise twice.. Make it at a time when you are not rushed so you can enjoy the whole experience. It takes you to a far away place when breads were made from scratch and not found on a shelf in a market.
The sky is the daily bread for the eyes.— Ralph Waldo Emerson
Give This Italian Herb Bread a Try...Easy and Deliciously Yummy
Sage has healthful benefits in many ways for our bodies. The interesting one is that sage is known to enhance your memory. So some sage advice ( I can see the eyes rolling...I could not resist) is to add it to salads and soups and anything else you think it will perk up.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups wheat flour
- 1 package dry yeast, dissolved in 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons shortening, butter or Crisco, softened
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon sage, powdered or crumbled
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 egg whites, mixed till a little frothy, OPTIONAL
Ready to rise
First rising is complete
Cut into four smal secitons and shaped into rounds
This is a short cut to herb bread
- Caraway seeds have numerous healthful properties including keeping the colon healthy and reducing stomach gas. There are numerous other benefits as well not the least of which is that it is a great source of fiber
- According to foodreference.com
--Caraway seeds were believed to prevent the theft of any object that contained them
--And they were also believed to keep chickens and pigeons from leaving their homes.
- The caraway seed is actually not a seed but it is the ripe fruit of the caraway plant.
- Mix yeast in warm water. Add one half of the flour and blend.
- Sift the remaining dry ingredients together and fold into wet mixture using your hands or mixer with a dough hook. Fold dough onto a pastry cloth or leave in the pan to do the next part: add a little flour at a time until you can handle it without it sticking to your hands. It is a very wet dough. Once you have done so then proceed to step 3.
- Work it until it clears the sides of the pan but do not overwork and handle gently.. Form into a ball and lightly oil the top. Place in a greased pan and cover. Let rise in a warm spot away from drafts for about half an hour.
- Punch down batter with a spoonula or your hands. You will find you may need to add additional flour but do so sparingly. Form into four rounds and place on pastry cloth and let rise again for about an hour.
- Brush with egg whites if desired. I did not as i like the mottled look that last little bit of flour gives it.
- Bake at 375 for about 45 minutes. Let cool before cutting. It cuts nicely if you turn it upside down to cut it. Freeze extra rounds if desired.
|Serving size: 1 bowl|
|Calories from Fat||27|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 3 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 20 g||7%|
|Sugar 2 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 45 mg||15%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
© 2012 Patricia Scott
More by this Author
All day mashed potato soup is filled with yummies just like the title says. It is full of flavor and is a filling soup to serve any time for family and for guests.
Tuna fish is often causes controversy. I am sharing a recipe for a salad that is yummy. Also attached to this recipe is information on both sides of the fences on this topic.
Welcome an unusual plant to your yard. Pine Cone Ginger, known by several other names, is a fascinating plant which will add a tropical air to the landscape on your property.