High Fiber Honey Oat Bar Recipe
Apricot Oat Bars
High fiber eating or cooking doesn't have to be boring. This is a recipe that I absolutely love. I got it on line some ways back as I was looking for a way to use my dried apricots, I believe on cdkitchen.com. There are only 2 tablespoons of flour in this recipe!
Dried apricots are very high in fiber and other nutrients and I love adding them to muffins or even making an appetizer out of them - stuffed apricots are marvelous. This is a great little cookie/dessert recipe though and so easily made.
I also added chopped walnuts or pecans to this recipe because I like the addition of nuts with the oats and chopped dried apricots. You could also substitute dried cranberries for the diced dried apricots, or even dried blueberries, dried apples.
Apricot Oat Bars
- 1-1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup finely chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup nonfat Greek plain yogurt
- 2 egg whites or 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons melted butter or margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Sprinkle of nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt if desired
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans
- Olive oil or vegetable oil spray
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Spray an 8-inch baking pan with vegetable spray.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl until well mixed.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 25 minutes or until the center has firmed up and the edges are lightly browned.
- Cool, turn onto board and cut into squares.
- Makes 8 or more depending on how big you cut them!
Summing It Up
Dried fruits are a wonderful addition to anyone's diet and a great ingredient to use in making cookies and desserts.
The added fiber from dried apricots make them an ideal candidate for combining with oats and honey but actually any dried fruit could be incorporated into this recipe and make a delicious bar cookie.
They also freeze really well in freezer bags. Just defrost for an hour and they are ready to eat.
- High Fiber Meatloaf Recipe
Looking for high fiber recipes? Or even recipes higher in fiber? This meatloaf is a wonderful way to increase fiber in your diet but do it painlessly. Even though it is high fiber, it is delicious. ...
- Sweet Potato Cheesecake
Yes, believe it or not - this recipe is high fiber having 2 grams of fiber to it but it is still delicious. Sweet Potato Cheesecake is a recipe that I copied down from one of the high fiber cookbooks I got at...
More by this Author
Caramel corn isn't that hard to make. In fact, it's very simple and oh so delicious. Try it and you'll be hooked and never buy store bought caramel corn again.
I think these are the best light recipe I've discovered for oatmeal cookies! I found this recipe in the wonderful cookbook I would review as definitely The Best Light Recipe by cooks.com. However, I changed my recipe up...
In a tight economy, how much should you pay a pet sitter? It depends on many factors including what kind of pet, age of the pet, what the pet sitter has to do and even how far the pet sitter has to drive to take care...