High Fiber Recipes: How To Make Quick and Easy High Fiber Meatloaf Recipe
High Fiber Meatloaf
Looking for high fiber recipes? Or even recipes higher in fiber? This meatloaf is a wonderful way to increase fiber in your diet but do it painlessly. Even though it is high fiber, it is delicious.
This is a standard meatloaf recipe that I experimented with. My first attempt was one I got from a high fiber cookbook but the result was way too dry.
The second time I made it, I decided to throw out the recipe and make up my own - and add Greek style yogurt. That was just enough to get the moisture back into the meatloaf and the result was perfect!
Ground Turkey Meatloaf Recipe
- 1 pound leanest ground beef (substitute ground chicken, ground turkey, ground pork, etc. Ground turkey from the breast though will be quite dry so add extra yogurt)
- 1 small onion chopped finely
- 1 egg or substitute 2 egg whites or 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup of non-fat Greek style plain yogurt
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of oat bran
- 2 tablespoons flax seed
- Dash of Worcestershire sauce
- Add more yogurt if mixture appears dry
- Vegetable or olive oil spray
- 1 medium sized can of petite diced tomatoes (drained - for topping)
Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Spray a 8-9 inch loaf pan with vegetable or olive oil spray.
Combine all ingredients EXCEPT the petite diced tomatoes or whatever topping you are using.
Mix well - it should have a cohesive consistency and not be too dry - or too wet.
Turn into prepared pan and smooth out (or do freestyle or cook in other pans as noted).
Place petite tomato slices on top of the meatloaf so they cover the top of the meatloaf and cover with foil loosely.
Cook for 1 hour or until appropriate temperature is reached (see below).
I do take a cake tester and poke tiny holes in the top of the meatloaf after I've placed the tomatoes on so that some of the extra juice runs into the meatloaf but it is fine without doing that.
Also - can substitute regular oatmeal or quick-cooking oats for the oat bran.
The idea sometimes is to do things quickly and do them simply.
When I do a meatloaf, it is with the idea that I'm making dinner, but that I'm usually also making more for the rest of the week and/or sandwiches.
I use the temperature and time in the oven to also:
Cook a baked potato - even if we only eat half, we still have another left over
Cook a squash - such as acorn or butternut in a separate shallow dish covered with foil.
By combining all 3 things in the same baking session, I have effectively made an entire dinner or I have cooked a couple of extra items at the same time.
Of course, you can just serve the meatloaf with roasted potatoes and a salad or a vegetable and a baked potato.
Some people like to cook a meatloaf in a square or round pan - or a pie plate.
Some people like to mound the meatloaf onto a cookie sheet and cook that way as a loaf or free form.
Some people like to cook as mini meatloaf - if you do - cut the cooking time in half.
Add chopped vegetables for another tasty variation.
Internal temperature should be 160 for beef and pork.
Internal temperature should be 175 for chicken and turkey.
Always let meatloaf stand for 15-20 minutes before cutting for dinner.
- Add various herbs such as oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary, tarragon
- Add 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard, 2 tablespoons brown sugar and 2 tablespoons vinegar for a BBQ flavored meatloaf
- Substitute mushrooms for topping or use cream of mushroom soup for topping or a mixture of both fresh and mushroom soup 'smear'
- Add different shredded cheeses in small quantities
- Add chopped drained tomatoes to recipe and add more on top
- Add chopped sun-dried tomatoes to top sprinkled with a little bit of balsamic vinegar
- Add some chopped spinach to the meatloaf mixture and bake
- Here's another great recipe from our own Darlene Sabella for surprise meatloaf
Summing It Up
Because a recipe is high fiber doesn't mean it has to be unpalatable. This is a great way to introduce added fiber to your diet and not even notice it!
Adding vegetables to the mix is also an excellent way to add extra fiber to this recipe - or just plain oatmeal.
I added the flax seed because I figured since it was meatloaf, we would never even know it was there!
- Nutrition - Facts And Fiction
There is an overabundance of tips and advice about nutrition everywhere! We are saturated with it. Some folks claim that if you eat a low-carb diet, you'll lose weight and be healthier. Still others claim...
- Crockpot Turkey and Fresh Vegetable Meatloaf
Meatloaf made with oatmeal - no brainer. It is great and you can make a million different variations on that recipe. But the 'tweaker' in me just had to try it and see if I could do something different and...
- Gluten Free Meatloaf Recipe. This Is So Good
Sauteed mushrooms replace the breadcrumbs in this delicious meatloaf recipe
- How to Make Meatloaf
Meatloaf can, and really should be a creative dish. I remember back in the day my Mother's meatloaf was pretty boring. It was little more than ground beef, ketchup, and bread crumbs prompting my uncle to...
- Easy Meatloaf Recipe With Oatmeal
Many people learn how to make meatloaf when they first start cooking. Meat loaf is a versatile recipe that can be made in many different ways. However, it's hard to beat a classic meatloaf recipe like the...
- Easy and Delicious Meatloaf Recipe
Nothing says home style comfort food cooking like meatloaf. There are so many different ways to make meatloaf. Many people have one favorite recipe they stick with all the time, and others vary their...
- Fast, Healthy Meatloaf Recipes for Every Occasion
Try any one of these delicious meatloaf recipes - they're guaranteed to be a hit! Mama's Meatloaf, Cajun, Chili, Honey-Dijon, and Cranberry (a holiday classic!)
- Best Ever Meatloaf Recipe to Make Ahead and Freeze
After tasting the Best Ever Meatloaf Recipe you'll join the ranks of thousands of our meal assembly kitchen customers that raved about this entrée every month. Make ahead and freeze tips provided on this updated classic comfort food with two types of
More by this Author
Looking for a quick and easy recipe that's healthy and made from salmon? Look no further. Try this quick and easy salmon loaf with carrots. You'll make it over and over.
Tarragon Chicken is actually a French dish and is really called Poulet a l’Estragon. If that's too much of a mouthful, then just call it Tarragon Chicken! This is one of my favorite recipes to make for company...
- EDITOR'S CHOICE17
EMDR therapy is proving very successful in dealing with many anxiety and panic disorders. Learn how you can self-administer EMDR therapy any time and any place.