Hobo Stew - An Inexpensive Dinner option
One dish I enjoyed while growing up is called Hobo Stew or sometimes Foil Stew. It is tasty and very filling on those cold winter nights. It is often associated with camping or outdoor cooking, but it makes a good dinner too.
- black pepper
- aluminum foil
- 3 large Idaho potatoes
- 1 large onion (can be white or yellow)
- 1.5 pounds of low fat ground beef (try to get 90/10 for best results)
- Tear 4 pieces of foil into 4 eighteen inch sections
- Next shape 4 patties out of the ground beef
- slice potatoes into thin slices (try to keep slices under quarter inch thickness)
- slice onion into quarter inch thick slices then cut the stack in half
- place the 4 beef patties in middle of each piece of foil
- sprinkle pepper (and salt if wanted) on the raw beef
- take the cut onion sectons break into strings and place on top of each beef pattie
- next stack potato on top and around beef pattie till it is covered
- take more onion sections break it up into strings and place on top of the potatoes
- sprinkle pepper (and salt if wanted) to finish the assembly process
- carefully close the 4 Hobo Dinners so that the food is sealed inside foil
- place the 4 Dinners on an cookie sheet
- place in oven and set temperature for 425 degrees cook for 52 mins
Once the Hobo Dinners are cooked, you may want to drain the fat by poking a hole in the side of each dinner. Next, allow the dinners to cool; once cooled, place on a plate and season it to your liking. Although carrots and bell pepper weren't on the list of ingredients,please feel free to experiment; Enjoy !!
More by this Author
The ABC Islands are known for their beautiful beaches, world class dive sites and having a great night life. Located a few miles north of Venezuela in the southern Caribbean, this group is made of Bonaire, Aruba and...
Caribbean vacations are among the most relaxing and affordable holidays. For advice about how to plan your trip, consult this guide ranking the top ten islands to visit with specific tips.
Find some off-the-beaten-path destinations for your next vacation.