Families across the nation are built on traditions. It’s been a tradition in my family that my dad cooks the turkey on special occasions such as Christmas and Easter. That is what we as a family look forward to because it is a time of renewing out bonds. That’s also the time that I pig out most because the food is so good. It’s a family traditions that I truly adore because it is remembered with so much love.
All Dressed Up
- Prep time: 45 min
- Cook time: 5 hours
- Ready in: 5 hours 45 min
- Yields: 8-12 people
Before you start
This turkey is about 30 pounds or more. It needs to be thawed completely the day before in the fridge or if you prefer on the day but it takes several hours for that to be done. If that is the case, take it out of the freezer early in the morning because it will need a lot of time.
When it's completely thawed it gets a complete(2) lemons bath inside and outside. You'll need the other lemon to clean up the smelly mess in your sink.
The measurements are approximate. If you like lots of pepper, or other spices add it etc. Since our bird is so big, it will pretty much absorb all that's stated here and still need more. You can slice, dice or shred your veggies according to your preference. You can add red/green peppers if that's your favourite. It will all be a delicious addition to your gravy.
- 1 30 pound fresh turkey
- 2-3 tbsp. sea salt
- 2 tbsp. paprika
- 2 tbsp. ground black pepper
- 3-4 stalks celery
- 2-3 large carrots
- 1 bunch or if ground 2-3 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 3 large onions, sliced or chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or chopped
Yep, It's ready
- Preheat the oven to 300-350 degrees F. depending on your oven. You want your turkey to cook slowly. A turkey this big will take about 4-5 hours to cook well. If you like it rare then do slightly less time.
- Place turkey in a large roasting pan, add salt, pepper, paprika and work it onto the bird. Move the skin aside and work some under it.
- Sprinkle seasoning inside of the cavity of the turkey too. This will turn out to be a tasty turkey. Rub the seasoning all over, back,front and sides. Once your bird is looking pretty, add veggies. Be sure to stuff some inside of the cavity again. Tie the legs together and tuck the tips of the wings under the body. Add 1/2 cup water and cover with foil.
- Every 1/2 hour or thereabout, check on it and use the gravy from the pan that the turkey is lying in to baste it. If you need more water add another 1/4 cup. It makes its own flavourful juices though so you probably won't need to.
- In the last hour, remove the foil paper so that it will become a golden brown colour.
- Once it's ready, turn off oven and remove from oven. It's time to eat.
All Done So Dig In
More by this Author
Do you feel anxious? Are you stressed out trying to find ways to help yourself ?
Jamaican banana fritters are one of my favourite sweets. It's so simple and easy to make. Use the recipe when you have bananas at home that are tired looking and brown.
Kissing! We all enjoy doing it. It's like second nature but do you know where a woman likes to be kissed?