Home-made Avocado Hummus
Taco or Tortilla, Roti or Dosa – What can beat a perfect hummus to go with it? Hummus, which is originally from Middle East, has gained so much popularity in many countries, especially in the US. A traditional hummus is made with chick peas, tahini, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice and salt. However, food is never bound to any rules. As they spread across countries, people make their own version of the original using different ingredients available. Creativity is the key. Inspired by the hummus that I tasted at the Farmer’s market on last Sunday, I came up with a recipe to make hummus with avocados.
1. One and a half table spoon of Chick peas
2. One and a half table spoon of Urad Dhal (an Indian lentil, also available under the name ‘Black gram’. I prefer the ones with skin removed)
3. One cup grated coconut.
4. One medium size Onion, roughly chopped.
5. One medium size Lemon.
6. Two to three split green chilies. You can add or reduce chilies as per your tolerance level to spice
7. One medium size ripe Avocado, halved, pitted and sliced.
8. One and a half cup of Cilantro leaves.
9. 1 table spoon of Olive oil.
10. Salt to taste.
1. A mixer/blender
Roasted Chick peas
Roasted Urad dhal/Black gram
- In a dry pan, on low to medium heat, dry roast the chick peas until fragrant and mild red. Remove the peas from the pan to a bowl
- In the same pan, dry roast the Urad dhal until fragrant and mild red. Remove the dhal from the pan to the bowl with chick peas.
- Soak the roasted peas and dhal in water for 20 minutes.
- Add a table spoon of Olive oil to the pan. When it is hot, add the cut onions and sauté for a few minutes, until it turns translucent and brown.
- In a blender jar, layer the soaked chick peas, Urad dhal, sautéed onions, grated coconut, green chilies, cilantro leaves, the cut avocado pieces and salt. Grind them together until they get to a paste consistency.
- If the paste is too thick, add little water while blending. We don’t want a watery hummus.
- Once they turn into a paste, transfer the contents of the jar to a bowl.
- Squeeze a medium size lemon into the bowl and mix the paste thoroughly.
- Taste the hummus and adjust salt and lemon juice as needed.
Enjoy the healthy avocado hummus with roti, tortilla, chips, dosa and what not. Remember, home-made food is healthy and pocket-friendly. It is tasty in its own way because, you put your heart into it while making it for your family. Happy cooking!
More by this Author
Pens or Apps on smartphones? Pens vs Humans - an interesting comparison. Fascination and love for writing with pens. Turning pages from my memory book to relive the moments of holding a pen, smelling the ink and...
Two healthy and tasty flavored water recipes to drink which also act as a natural medicine to rejuvenate and cleanse your body.
Garlic milk may not sound appetizing, but its health benefits are just far out. Read on to learn how this medicinal drink can help you.