Kids Cook Monday Recipe: Home-made Microwave Popcorn
Cooking with Children
Store-bought microwave isn't really as healthy as it sounds. With ingredients such as artificial colours and flavours, milk and even fish (yes, you read that right), we want something better for our family.
Act II Popcorn Ingredients: Popcorn, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Salt, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Annatto Color. Contains: Fish, Milk
Stove-top popcorn can be too dangerous for kids to do on their own, so, here's a simple and cheap microwave popcorn method your kids can make anytime with little-to-no supervision.
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- to taste salt, butter and seasoning
- Put popcorn kernels in a brown paper lunch bag.
- Fold the bag over twice and place in microwave. Do not use staples as this will spark and possibly catch fire in the microwave!!!
- Set your microwave on high for 3 minutes and listen for the popping.
- When the popping slows to one to two pops per second, stop the microwave and take your bag out.
- Carefully open the bag and season to taste.
Get a deal on paper bags!
Don't want to use a bag? Try this!
Fun with Toppings
If your family is feeling adventurous, you can try some of these fun topping ideas:
- Traditional: Salt and butter
- Cinna-mix: Brown sugar and cinnamon
- Sweet Tooth: Caramel Sauce (Mom and Dad will have to help with this one)
- Cheesey Pleaser: Grated Parmesan and/or Romano cheese
- Nice 'n Scipy: Chili powder, hot sauce and salt
What is your favourite topping? Let me know in the comments below!
This series was created to help parents bond with their kids while teaching them valuable skills. It includes tips, ideas and recipes.
Learn more about how you can participate in The Kids Cook Monday campaign!
Snack Recipes You May Enjoy
© 2013 Rosa Marchisella
More by this Author
A healthy substitute to pancakes, wraps or sandwich bread, these gluten-free crepes are perfect for any mealtime.
In Spring of 2012, Wendy's restaurant introduced poutine to its menu. Is it worth the hype? This review will help you decide.
A new parent's nightmare includes slogging through all the baby products on the market to find out what works best for the most reasonable price. Diapers are high on the list, so let's compare the two big name diaper...