Homemade Applesauce: Using a CrockPot
Crockpot Homemade Applesauce
Applesauce is a great way to get your family to eat a full serving of fruit. Despite applesauce being a fairly cheap item to buy from the store, store-bought applesauce does not compare to the delicious taste of this homemade side dish made from fresh apples. This is a very easy to make applesauce, all you need are apples and a crock-pot, plus cinnamon, if you so choose. Aside from the time-consuming task of peeling, coring, and chopping up the apples, this dish basically makes itself.
This is a good way to use up the left over apples you bought at the grocery store that your family did not eat. Although applesauce is an easy way to get your allotted amount of fruits and vegetables, it is important to note that you should eat a variety of colors of fruits and vegetables like green beans, bananas, oranges, tomatoes, and peppers. The more colorful your diet, the higher nutritional value it contains.
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Applesauce
|Serving size: 6|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 0 g|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 9 g||3%|
|Sugar 6 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 0 g|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Ingredients for Crockpot Applesauce
- 6 Large Apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1-3 teaspoon(s) Cinnamon, (dependent on preference, remember a little goes a long way)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Water
How to Make Homemade ApplesauceClick thumbnail to view full-size
How Do You Make Homemade Applesauce?
- First, peel and core six large apples or nine smaller apples. The sweeter the apple, the sweeter the applesauce. Gala or Honeycrisp are great choices. I often use a variety of apples, which gives it a very good flavor.
- Once peeled and cored, chop apples into small pieces. It is a good idea to chop them even smaller than you would a bite-sized piece.
- Then, add sugar, cinnamon, water, and vanilla extract into the crock pot. Stir until apple pieces are coated.
- Cook on low for four hours. It will be browner than what you buy at the store, but that is okay. It's still very good.
- Once the apples are nice and soft, use a hand masher or hand mixer until you get the desired smoothness. I always use a hand masher, because it gives it a chunkier texture, but I hear a mixer will make it as smooth as store bought.
- Place in the refrigerator to cool. It will last up to a week in the refrigerator. In the freezer, it can last up to six months as long as it is in an airtight container.
Apples for Weightloss: Top Ten Reasons to Eat Apples
- Apples are delicious and can be served a variety of ways.
- Apples are convenient. You can grab and go, and eat on the way.Just make sure you wash the wax off that might be trapping pesticides.
- They are low in calorie and fat, which makes it an ideal food for weight-loss.
- The fiber found in apples will expand in your stomach, causing you to feel full longer.
- The fiber also will slow the absorption of carbohydrates. This is essential for diabetics, or those that are insulin-resistant, because it keeps the sugar levels within a healthy range.
- Apples are low in sodium. When trying to lose weight, you want to avoid sodium, because sodium causes water retention.
- Your food will digest better, because of the enzymes found in apples.
- Apples contain the antioxidant, vitamin C, which can prevent cancer cells from developing and heart disease.
- Apples are a great source of pectin, which helps keep your blood cholesterol at a healthy level. Pectin, when dissolved in water, will actually cause a substance that sticks to bile acids, which draws cholesterol from the bloodstream.
- Apples stimulate your gums and increases your saliva production, which will give your teeth a whiter smile.
There are many reasons we should eat apples. It not only will help us maintain a good physique, but keep our body healthy.
© 2012 Angela Michelle
More by this Author
Guacamole is a wonderful dip or spread made of an extremely healthy fruit. Avacado is a high calorie fruit that can be used in a variety of ways, including sandwiches.
Zucchini Tuna patties are a healthy nutritious meal that fulfill many of the basic food groups. It is also low calorie, which makes it ideal for those who want to lose weight.
There are few games intended specifically for two players. Here are three. War, Speed, and double solitaire.