Homemade Avocado-Jalapeno Salad Dressing
Don't Have a Food Processor? They're Handy, Check Them Out!
Spice Up Your Salad With Homemade Avocado-Jalapeno Dressing
It's a common misconception that salads are always healthy--but once you pour on half a bottle of salad dressing, you might be taking in just as many calories as you would with a burger, as well as consuming unhealthy oils. (Many salad dressings have a canola or vegetable oil base, rather than the much-healthier olive oil base.) Making your own salad dressing at home is a healthier, lower-calorie option, as well as very cheap. This is the first in my line of healthy salad dressings, so be sure to watch for future entries!
1 large ripe Hass avocado
1 medium jalapeno pepper (try a Serrano pepper if you like things really spicy!)
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon mild Dijon mustard (you won’t be able to taste this at all, but it makes a subtle, creamy base)
2 teaspoons dill
1 ½ teaspoons salt
½ cup water
1) Scoop out the avocado and dice it into 1-inch cubes
2) Cut the jalapeno (or Serrano, if that’s what you’ve picked) lengthwise and use the knife to scrape out the seeds. Then dice into small pieces.
3) Add avocado and jalapeno to food processor bowl.
4) Add the cider vinegar, lime juice, mustard, dill and salt.
5) Put the lid on the food processor and pulse until all the ingredients reach a creamy puree consistency. The dressing will be quite thick at this point.
6) Slowly add water, pulsing the mixture with the food processor, until the salad dressing thins and becomes pourable.
Spicy avocado-jalapeno dressing isn't a flavor you'll find in a bottle! This salad dressing is delicious with mixed field greens, feta cheese, sunflower seeds, and tomatoes. To make it a dinner salad, drizzle chicken with olive oil, sprinkle it with paprika and chili pepper, and then grill it. Slice it up, toss the meat into the greens, and enjoy!
More by this Author
Do you love the romance novels of Nora Roberts? Check out these books by similar authors--you may find a new author to love!
The thought of eating sushi can be scary--raw fish? No way! It can make it hard to go to dinner if you're friends with, dating, or married to a sushi lover, but luckily the taste can be acquired.
TV can do more than just zone you out--a really great show can be a bonding experience between the two people who watch it together. This hub lists the best TV shows for moms/daughters to watch.