Homemade Cracked Black Pepper Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
Please rate this recipe!
This macaroni and cheese recipe has a little heat from black and red peppers. It has a mild cheese flavor, so if you are serving this to someone who isn't a big fan of cheese, they'll love it too. This dish goes well with just about meal, but we love it with baked pork chops, chicken, or for family get togethers.
- 8 oz Elbow macaroni
- 2 cups Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded and divided
- 2 TBSP Butter
- 2 TBSP Flour
- 1/2 tsp Coarse Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Ground Red or Cayenne Pepper
- 2 cups Milk
- Cook the elbow macaroni noodles according to package directions and drain well.
- While the noodles are cooking, I like to shred my own cheese from the block or you can use pre-shredded cheese. Separate cheese into 2, one cup servings.
- In a large sauce pan, melt the butter and stir in the flour. Whisk until well combined and a light brown color. Gradually add in the milk, stirring constantly for about 2 minutes. Stir in 1 cup of shredded cheese, black pepper, and red pepper. Stir until the cheese is melted and the sauce has thickened.
- Combine the noodles and cheese sauce in a large pot. Stir until well mixed. Grease a 2 QT baking dish with cooking spray then pour in the noodle mixture.
- Top the dish with the remaining 1 cup of cheese. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. After the 20 minutes, broil for 5-6 minutes to get the top brown and crunchy. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
More by this Author
You may refer to a truss as the rafter, but it's basically the skeleton of the roof, carrying the weight of the frame and supporting the walls of the building. Trusses are very important to preventing the walls from...
Until this year, the only time that I've had mice or rats in the house were when my daughter had pet mice and rats, and one of those times we did have one loose in the house. (Science fair project got loose.) Anyway,...
You don't always have to tile, carpet, or hardwood your floors. The new thing is to just stain the concrete that's already there. It's a lot of work, but if done properly, your home will look gorgeous. If you're...