Homemade Potato Hash-Browns or Home-fries recipe
There's nothing better than a big hearty breakfast on the weekend that includes hash-browns or home-fries. Some people call them hash-browns and others call them home-fries. There are various ways to make these potatoes, so I've included two recipes.
Both recipes will serve 4 - 5 people.
- 4 medium - large potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 4 - 5 slices of bacon
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves (optional)
- vegetable oil
If you don't have a microwave you can wash the potatoes, cut in half and boil for ten minutes, or until partially tender.
These home-fries can be made with or without bacon.
You may want to add diced green peppers.
Season with anything you like. I like to add Slap Ya Mama white pepper Cajun seasoning.
Start by preparing the ingredients
- Wash and scrub the potatoes and pierce for microwaving.
- Cook the potatoes in the microwave for 6 minutes, turning over after 3 minutes.
- Chop and dice the onion and set aside.
- If you are using garlic cloves, peel and slice thin.
- Slice bacon into bite sized pieces.
- In an electric frying pan or a frying pan on the stove, fry the bacon slices on a medium setting. You don't want to cook the bacon all the way through as you will be adding the potatoes, onion and garlic, and cooking everything together.
- Once the potatoes are partially cooked, remove from microwave and dice.
Cooking the Home-Fries
In the frying pan that the bacon is frying in, add 1 tbs. of vegetable oil and turn to a high setting. Add potatoes, chopped onion and garlic cloves. Fry and stir until potatoes are a golden brown. Add paprika and fresh ground pepper.
Electric Skillets Are Great For Home-Fries
Ingredients for hash-browns
- 4 medium sized baking potatoes
- 1 large onion diced (optional)
- 1-2 tbs. vegetable oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Cooking the Hash-Browns
Wash and peel potatoes, and then grate them. To remove the moisture from the potatoes I use a potato ricer. If you do not have a ricer roll between paper towels and press to get the moisture out.
In a large frying pan heat 1 - 2 tbs. of vegetable oil and add the chopped onion. Fry for about 2 minutes.
Add the grated potatoes, fry for several minutes. With a spatula flip the potatoes over and continue to fry until cooked. You can make these as crispy as you like.
- Potatoes And Potato Peels Antitoxins Health Benefits
There are healthy benefits to eating potato peels. Vitamins such as C and B6, potassium, manganese and copper can be found in the potatoes as well as the peel.
- Easy Favorite Ways to Cook Potatoes
Potatoes are versatile and inexpensive. You can make lots of easy dishes from potatoes. Here are some favorite and easy potato recipes.
More by this Author
Roast beef dinner recipe with easy to follow directions. Garlic mashed potatoes included.
In this easy to follow recipe I've added other ingredients to Zatarain's Jambalaya mix to make it go further and feed more people. Pictures included with recipe.
A step by step recipe with pictures for making a one pot meal that includes; cabbage, carrots, potatoes and onions.