Homemade Pretzel Recipe Similar to Super Pretzel--Fun for Kids
Fun for All Ages
It's a food, it's like play-doh, it's versatile---it's a pretzel! From when my kids were young to now that they are teenagers, one of their favorite snacks that I make is my homemade pretzels. Over the years, I have used different recipes and got pretzels with mediocre results. Every time I'd purchase the Super Pretzel brand, I'd wonder how I could recreate those yummy wonders. When I'd go to the mall, I'd secretly watch what employees do at places like Aunt Annie's Pretzels, how they dip each pretzel in a solution of some kind. I even found a knockoff Aunt Annie's recipe--it was acceptable. Then I was watching one of the morning shows and saw some gentlemen promoting their pretzel bites. I found their recipe online and immediately tried it. Delicious. They browned beautifully. But, the recipe needed some tweaking. Here's my tweak.
Ingredients for Dough
- 1 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 1/2 tsp or 1 packet yeast
- 5 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbls brown sugar
- 1 Tbs oil (like vegetable)
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/3 cup melted butter, unsalted
Constructing and Baking the Dough
- Melt the butter. Set aside.
- Proof the yeast by warming the 1 cup of water (around 100 degrees) and pour in the yeast. Stir very gently. The yeast will blossom within 5 minutes. If it doesn't bloom or plump, your yeast is dead.
- Combine flour, salt, and sugar into a mixing bowl with the dough hook. Wisk the mixture gently to get out any clumps. Add melted butter. Mix gently. Add yeast/water mixture (once yeast has bloomed.) Mix again. Then add the beaten egg and 1 teaspoon of oil.
- Once you have gotten as mixed as possible with the dough hook, knead the mixture gently with your hands until all ingredients have completely combined. Put the dough in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap for around an hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Combine approximately 8 cups of water with 1/4 cup baking soda. Bring to a boil when the dough has risen.
- Roll out the dough into long snakes and cut into 2-inch pieces. Place about 10 at a time into the boiling water and cook for 30 seconds. Then place on a kitchen towel to slightly dry before placing them on a cookie sheet. Important: Either spray the sheet with non-stick spray or use a baking stone (my favorite).
- Bake at 400 for 5 minutes. Turn the sheet a full 180 degrees and continue to bake for another 6 minutes or until a medium golden brown.
Once the pretzels have boiled for 30 seconds in the boiling water with the baking soda, dry them off slightly on a towel. Then place them on a baking sheet either greased with non-stick spray or on a baking stone (my favorite). Sprinkle them with kosher salt. Bake as directed above.
Serve with regular, spicy, or honey mustard.
Cinnamon and Sugar:
These were my family's favorite...Combine white sugar and cinnamon into a bowl with a lid. After boiling the bites, shake in the cinnamon and sugar mixture until well covered and place on a baking sheet following the directions above. Serve with a drizzle of frosting.
- 2 tbs melted unsalted butter
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 tbs half and half
- 1 tbs water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Drizzle over slightly warm cinnamon and sugar bites. Beware! These are addictive!
More by this Author
Most blogs on mouth ulcers point you to products that mask symptoms. This blog not only shows you how to cure yourself naturally, but also why those mouth sores can signal deeper health issues.
I used to work at Longhorn and this is EXACTLY the recipe the bartenders use...
It's the event before the big event...gender reveal parties are what's trending. There's no better way to allow friends and family be a part of special time of life! Learn how to throw one here...