Homemade Purple Potato Chips Recipe
A Fun Snack
My 2 year old daugther, exclaims "purple potato chips". It sounds silly, but they are fun to make. Kids will love the fact that you making such an interesting snack. Homemade chips fresh out of the oil cannot be beat. Plus I think you eat less when you make it yourself. You know how much hard work goes into it, so it's a lot harder to make the whole batch disappear quickly. At the same time, they are so good that you might not be able to help yourself.
What You Will Need
Peanut oil (use canola or vegetable oil if there is an allergy concern)
Coarse sea salt
Tools for the Job
1. First you need to slice up your potatoes. A mandolin slicer is the best tool for the job. It enables you to get nice, even cuts you would never be able to with just your hands and a knife.
2. Select what you will use to fry in. You could either use an electric deep fryer or a cast iron dutch oven with a deep fry thermometer attached. I think the dutch oven option gives you more control over your heat, plus a dutch oven can be used for a thousand other things.
3. Heat the oil up to 375 degrees.
4. Place potato slices in, one at a time, so they don't stick. Don't overcrowd them by adding too many. Work in small batches. And it's good to test a couple first to get your technique down.
5. It's harder to tell when purple potato are done by just looking at them, as they change in color is not that drastic. The best way to know is if you see the bubbling around the chips stop. This means all the water inside the chip is gone and they are ready to come out.
6. Place your chips on a cooling rack that is on top of a sheet pan lined with paper towel or newspaper. This will help get excess oil off the chips.
7. Season your chips with salt as soon as they are on your cooling rack. I like a coarse sea salt. I have a sea salt grinder, so I can adjust how coarse or fine I want my salt.
Are Purple Potatoes Better for You?
Purple potatoes contain carotenoids. Carotenoids are naturally occurring pigments that have been shown to have health benefits. Beta-carotene is an example of a carotenoid. White flesh potatoes are lacking in, so you could say they aren't as nutrition. Is there a great deal in difference in nutrition? From what I read there is mixed feelings on this, some say yes, some say no. But what I can say for sure is that purple potatoes just look cool!
Where to Buy Seeds to Grow Your Own Potatoes
- Johnny\'s Selected Seeds Superior Seeds & Gardening Tools
Johnny's is committed to helping growers and gardeners succeed with superior seeds, tools and service. Quality vegetable, herb and flower seeds including a large selection of certified organic seed.
- Burpee Seeds and Plants - Vegetable, Flower, Home Gardening Supplies, Herb, Fruit, Heirloom,Organic
Seeds, plants and gardening supplies for home gardens - Large, exclusive selection: Heirloom and organic seeds and plants. Vegetable, flower, herb, fruit, perennials, annuals - Burpee.com.
- Seeds of Change Homepage
Celebrating twenty years of offering over 1200 certified organic seed varieties for the home gardener and market-grower. Check for special web offers.
- Welcome to Kitchen Garden Seeds
John Scheepers Kitchen Garden Seeds
More by this Author
There are so many kitchen gadgets available these days. I bet if you started channel surfing right now then within a few minutes you will find some ad for some type of gadget (most likely something you don't need). I...
They may be smaller than their larger orange cousins, but mandarins or tangerines pack a punch of juicy flavor. In this hub, I will talk about the many different varieties there are out there today and what makes them...
There aren't many better things in this world than fresh fruit. When you bite into something you just purchased from a local farmer or you picked it from the tree or bush yourself it is an experience that cannot be...