Homemade Soup Recipes - Broccoli and Cheese Soup Recipe
Homemade Broccoli and Cheese Soup Recipe
Homemade broccoli and cheese soup is a real winter warmer. It's quick to make at around 20-30 mins, has relatively few ingredients which is always good in my book, and most importantly looks and tastes like a winter soup should - rich, creamy and appatizing.
Broccoli is a winter vegetable from the same family as the cabbage and the cauliflower. It's low in calories, high in vitamin C and can be prepared in a multitude of ways from serving it raw with a dip, stir fried with rice or in soups, as in this homemade soup recipe.
The broccoli heads that we eat are actually the flower heads of the plant - harvested before they are allowed to flower. Left to their own devices each plant produces hundreds of tiny yellow flowers, with each tightly curled bud sprouting forth into a sea of colour.
Broccoli flowers are edible and can be used in salads and stir frys, or as garnishes.
Broccoli and Cheese Soup Ingredients
This recipe serves 2 generously and is easy to double. The resulting soup will keep happily for a couple of days in the fridge if not eaten all at once.
You will need:
Small knob of butter
1 white onion - finely chopped
1 large potato (approx 8oz / 250g)
1 large / 2 small heads broccoli
Approx 500ml / 16 fl oz / 3/4 pt milk
2 - 3 dessert spoons grated hard cheese i.e. Grana Padano
Salt and pepper for seasoning
- In a large saucepan melt the butter, add the finely chopped onion and sweat gently for 2 -3 mins until the onion is soft and translucent.
- While the onion is sweating peel the potato and cut into small (approx 1cm square) pieces - this helps the potato cook quicker
- Add the diced potato to the onion and butter and cook gently for a couple of minutes, allowing the potato pieces to be coated in the onion / butter mix.
- Add enough milk to the saucepan to just cover the potatos and simmer gently for 5 mins - keep a watchful eye on the saucepan during this time as milk can be quick to boil over.
- Whilst the potatoes are simmering chop the broccoli into small florets
- Add the broccoli to the saucepan, and using any milk left over, plus water, top up the liquid so it just covers the broccoli - cook for a further 8 mins or until both the potatoes and broccoli are cooked. (When cooked you will be able to insert the tip of a sharp knife into the potato with no resistance).
- Once cooked remove from the heat and blend the soup using either a handheld blender or a liquidiser.
- Once blended return the soup to a gentle heat, add the grated hard cheese (2 spoonfuls first - then to taste).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with a swirl of cream (optional) and freshly baked bread
Other Homemade Soup Recipes
- Easy Homemade Soup Recipes ~ Roasted Garlic and Pea ...
This is one of the easiest homemade simplest homemade soup recipes to make ~ and once the garlic is roasted it's also very quick ~ less than 20 mins from beginning to end. If you've never used roasted garlic...
- Cauliflower Soup - Easy Homemade Soup Recipe
Let's be clear - this soup is not a looker. It's not one that you're going to serve up and have people say 'wow that looks pretty'. What it is, is easy to make and absolutely delicious. It's great winter...
More by this Author
First off, lets differentiate between types of pastry and types of pastries, as it can all get a little bit confusing. Pastry is a dough like substance used in baking i.e. for tarts and pies, while pastries is a...
There are times you want a cake to rise in the middle and times you want to stop cakes rising in the middle. Flat topped cakes are much easier to decorate after all. Find out what makes your cake rise, and, more...
If your cake sinks in the middle when you take it out of the oven, it doesn't mean you can't bake. It just means you need to make a few adjustments. Follow these easy tips to prevent/rescue it.