Homemade Tomato and Basil Pesto Soup Recipe with Crisp Croutons: Easy, Delicious and Low in Calories
Nothing Beats Homemade Tomato Soup
Make and Rate
Step by Step Soup Instructions
Grow Your Own Tomatoes: Easy to Grow Window Garden
365 Soup Recipes for Every Day
More soup ideas...
- Low calorie soups
The most important ingredient in any soup is the stock. A good stock will give you a great soup, and a great soup that's low in calories is your best friend. Please change the consistency to suit your own...
Serve Your Soup in Supper Style
Tomato and Basil Pesto Soup Recipe
This classic tomato and basil pesto soup is a real knock out. Easy and simple to prepare. Good for a snack or a starter. A real tasty treat. This recipe will give 4 good portions.
Tomato Soup Recipe:
- 2 lbs of fresh ripe tomatoes, beef, cherry, plum, whatever you fancy, sliced into quarters
- 5 or 6 large crushed garlic gloves, skin on, more if you love garlic
- sea salt
- ground black pepper
- a good handful of fresh oregano, although a good sprinkle of dry works, if fresh is unattainable
- a good handful of fresh basil,
- a good quality olive oil
- Place your tomatoes in an oven proof dish. Scatter over the crushed garlic, sprinkle with sea salt and ground black pepper. Add your oregano and basil mixing through the tomatoes. Lastly drizzle over the oil evenly. Place in your oven for about 30 to 45 minutes on a medium heat.
- When your tomatoes are cooked (see picture) remove from the oven and leave to cool. This stage can be done a few days before you want to make the soup, simply keep the tomatoes covered in the fridge. Also suitable for freezing at this stage.
- When the tomatoes are cool simple peel of the skins (they come away very easily) squeeze the skins to get all the juice and discard.
- You will have a wonderful rustic texture at this stage. Blitz to a fine smooth texture. When ready to serve pour into a saucepan and heat through on a medium heat.
Homemade Pesto Recipe:
- 2 gloves of crushed, skinless garlic
- sea salt
- ground black pepper
- good olive oil
- 2 large handfuls of fresh basil leaves only
- handful of pecorino cheese freshly grated
- handful of pine nuts lightly toasted
- Put your garlic cloves, basil leaves and pine nuts into your food processor and blitz.
- Empty the mixture into a bowl adding a little cheese. Stir in the olive oil slowly, adding more cheese, till you get an oozy mix.
- Season to taste. The pesto can be made 2 days before hand. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Crispy Croutons Recipe:
- 2 slices of stale bread, crusts removed, cut into smallish squares
- sunflower oil to fry
- a good pinch of fine garlic salt
- a good pinch of dry oregano
- a good pinch of dry basil
- While your soup is heating through. Mix your herbs and salt together in a bowl.
- Heat your oil in a non stick pan on a medium heat. Throw in the bread squares and move briskly around with a fork or spoon till golden.
- Remove to kitchen paper. Toss into your bowl and mix to coat the croutons.
- Warm soup bowls. Put a good teaspoon of the pesto in the bottom of each bowl. Pour in the hot soup. Add your fresh basil leaves and croutons.
- Add a little drizzle of olive oil (optional) and enjoy.
Some Serving Options
- Serve your soup with white crusty bread or fresh baked rolls. Add a glass of dry white wine for a great supper.
- Alternatively opt for warm melba toast with butter and/or a little extra pesto on the side to dip.
- Go all out. Serve with mediterranean panini tomato bread, olive oil and goats cheese for a knock out dish.
- Add a side serving of black olives and cheese sticks.
- Go simple. Serve with a portion of garlic cheesy bread.
The Soup Low Down
This soup recipe is very low in calories and virtually fat free if you opt out of the pesto and croutons.
The basic ingredients ie tomatoes, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper are zero calorie foods (check out the hub below).
The drizzle of olive oil can be a little less, but remember it's also good for you.
To keep the croutons a little more diet friendly toast the bread, cut into cubes and add to your herb and salt mix to coat.
As for the pesto, add a small teaspoon rather than a large and you've got a great soup for less than 125 calories.
Yes I've done the math. Enjoy without the guilt.
Check it out...
- Zero calorie foods
There is a God and you can eat food that takes more energy to digest and adsorb into the system than the actual energy in the food itself. What that means is, food that has less calories than your body uses...
Make a meal of it...
- Dinner party top tips
Dinner parties are great fun, whether we invite a couple of close friends or fill the table with a whole bunch of people we enjoy spending time with. The thing to remember is, you are one of the people that...
© 2010 Gabriel Wilson
More by this Author
This article shows step by step, how to cook a roast Sunday lunch the whole family will enjoy complete with the calorie low down. A low fat full tasting Sunday calorie counted lunch.
Great coleslaw recipes including good old classic slaw, cheese slaw and a modern scrumptious bacon slaw. It's so easy and cheap to make your own not to mention quick and tasty. Why not make your own.
Zero calorie foods take more energy to absorb into the system than the energy in the food itself. In other words zero calorie foods are foods you can eat without counting calories or gaining weight