How To Make Honey Glazed Chicken: A Khmer Southeast Asian Recipe
Delicious Honey Glazed Chicken!
Traditionally, this dish is cooked in an earthenware pot. These pots are usually hand-made in the Kampong Chang region.
The pot is placed in a small barbecue to add a smoky flavor to the dish. The herbs and spices flavors are arroused by the content of alcohol in the Rice Wine and allows the meat to be very tender.
This recipe actually requires 3 different recipes to make the main dish:
*Please follow the links within the recipe before starting the dish as you will want to make the Dipping Sauce and Raw Vegetable, Fruit and Herb Plate prior to making the chicken.
Let's look at the Ingredients for this recipe that has a preparation time of 30 minutes and a total cooking time of 1 hour and 10 minutes:
Ingredients and Recipe for Cambodian Honey Glazed Chicken Recipe
How To Prepare
2 1/4 lbs. (1 kg)
Washed and Patted Dry
Use Inner Tender part. Chop Roughly
Fresh Kaffir Lime Leaves
20 (30 if you use dried leaves)
Small Red Shallots
Rice Wine or Sake
2 Cups (500 ml)
*Chili Coriander Dipping Sauce
*See link below for recipe
*Khmer Raw Vegetable, Fruit and Herb Plate
*See link below for recipe
- Combine the Honey and Salt in a small bowl and mix well.
- Rub the mixture evenly all over the Chicken and set aside.
- Using Aluminum Foil, line a Casserole Dish that is large enough to accomidate the Chicken.
- Scatter the Chopped Lemongrass, Kaffir Lime Leaves, Shallots and Garlic in the dish.
- Heat quickly until the bottom changes color.
- Add the Chicken and reduce heat and cover the dish.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add a little of the Rice Wine or Sake.
- Cook in the covered pan for 1 hour, regularly turning the Chicken and gradually adding more Rice Wine throughout.
- Discard the Lemongrass, Kaffir Lime Leaves Shallots and Garlic.
- Carve the Chicken and place on a Platter.
- Serve with Chili Coriander Dip (click link for Dip Recipe) and Khmer Raw Vegetable, Fruit and Herb Plate (click link for recipe)
This dish serves 4!
Dow Yam! (Go eat!)
More Cambodian Cooking Recipes and Related Articles
- Cambodian Pickled Vegetables Recipe: Overnight Pickles, the Southeast Asian Khmer Way!
24 Hour Pickles Recipe! No long wait and Pickling Process! Pickles over night!
- Simple Authentic Cambodian Southeast Asian Dipping Sauce Recipes: Cooking The Khmer Way!
Delicious Dipping Sauces from Cambodia and Southeast Asia.
- Khmer Curry Recipes: Basic Curry Paste, Chicken Curry, Traditional Khmer Curry, and Tangy Ham and Ve
Recipes for Khmer Cambodian Southeast Asian Curry Dishes.
- Cambodia: Srok (sroc) Khmer: Facts, Fun, and Photos: A Guide To Siem Reap In Cambodian Culture
A brief journey into Cambodia's Ancient Temples and Cities with Original Photos.
- Authentic Cambodian Food: Basics of Khmer Ingredients: With Recipes in a Series
List of Basic Ingredients used in Cambodian and Southeast Asian Cuisine.
- I Am So In Love With My Wife! A Short Essay On Karma and Relationships
The story of me and my Cambodian wife!
- How To Speak Cambodian: An Introduction In To The Khmer Language
The basic Guide to Learning how to Read and Write Cambodian Khmer.
South East Asia
More by this Author
- 29Cooking Ingredients for Authentic South East Asian Cuisine Recipes: Use Cambodian Spices Roots and Herbs for Health
Cambodian recipes are usually not written down, but rather passed from generation to generation by showing children how to prepare these dishes in their own kitchens. It is of great cultural significance and a bonding...
Green Papaya Salad is a popular dish throughout Southeast Asia. Since Cambodia, Laos, Thailand and Vietnam have a very hot and humid climate, salads are often eaten as a light meal.
Learn about cast iron cookware and its benefits and how to season, clean, and store it.