Best Hot Guacamole Recipe
Guacamole is more popular than ever and a snap to make. Early Spanish settlers called this Mexican favorite the butter of the poor , because it was flavorful, inexpensive and easily incorporated into a variety of meals. Made from nutrient rich avocados, guacamole is well loved throughout North America.
Avocados are a healthy addition to your diet and contains nutrients that aid in brain development in babies. Eaten in moderation, avocado provides healthy fats to the nervous system.
Fresh ingredients will always give you the best results when making guacamole. Look for avocados that are ripe and soft enough to give under firm pressure, but not so ripe that they dent. If you can only find hard avocados, keep them in a paper bag at room temperature for a few days to ripen. Ripe avocados can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two days.
- 2 Ripe avocados, halved seeded and pulp scooped out and cut up
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato (experiment with more if you like the flavor)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 1-2 fresh Serrano or Jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped (the Serrano peppers will have more heat than the Jalapenos)
- 1/4-teaspoon salt
Halve and pit the avocados, and scoop the pulp away from the skin. You can mash the avocados with a fork for a lumpy texture. If you prefer a smooth texture put it in the blender or food processor briefly. Mash in the lemon juice.In a food processor or blender, combine the tomato, onion, cilantro and peppers. Process until finely chopped. Stir it into the avocado mixture and allow it to stand for about 30 minutes to allow the flavors to blend thoroughly.
Options For ServingGuacamole and chips is a standard favorite, but here are some other ways to enjoy this delicious guacamole.
- Add guacamole to a tortilla wrap with your favorite fillings.
- Use guacamole as a substitute for mayonnaise on a sandwich.
- Create a south-of-the-border burger by adding guacamole to a meat patty.
- Use guacamole to replace salad dressing in chicken salad.
- Serve guacamole with grilled meats.
More by this Author
A sincere apology is more than a simple "I'm sorry." Learn to apologize effectively.
Clear and simple tips to finally get your financial records organized, including what to keep and what to shred.
A lighthearted look at sweet things you can do to show a man you love him.