How I Make Mexican Guacamole in Five Minutes
The Simplicity of a Great Guacamole Recipe
Of all the authentic Mexican food I learned how to make from my Litah, guacamole is the simplest, yet it is also one of the most versatile. The unique, mildly spicy flavor it brings to simple side dishes and appetizers like tortilla chips or quesadillas, along with how it can enrich the taste of main dishes like tacos and carne asada, cannot be duplicated by anything else (click here for a chart of creative uses for guacamole).
And yet, sadly, there are so many awful versions out there that turn people away. If you have tried guacamole and decided you don’t like it, I highly encourage you to try again with this recipe. I have personally experienced having people who hate guacamole taste this recipe and change their minds.
Welcome. Let’s get started…
- 2 Avocados, figure 1 to 1 1/2 per person
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Salt
- 1/4 tsp Onion Salt
- 1/4 tsp Chili Powder
- 4 Tbsp Diced Anaheim Chili Pepper, (or 2 Tbsp of your favorite salsa)
Guacamole is a versatile side dish. Try these variations:
- dried oregano (about 1/4 tsp.)
- lemon or lime juice
- fresh tomatoes (diced small)
- fresh lettuce (sliced very thin)
Notes on the Ingredients:
- In the truest and most authentic Mexican style, you would not be adding garlic salt and onion salt. Instead they would use powder or simply add fresh ingredients. Because there is no cooking involved, the salts add the best flavor and are also much faster.
- In order to keep guacamole from turning brown, many recipes add lemon juice. If the guacamole is going to sit out for a long time, this is a good idea, but I personally don't care for the way it changes the taste. If you're going to serve it right away, there is no need.
NOTE: Click here for Complete Video Instructions.
Preparation Instruction for Guacamole with Video Time Stamps:
- Video Introduction (0:15): ...a brief overview of the joy of guacamole.
- Slice the Avocados into Quarters (2:17): ...remove the stem before slicing. Slice avocado all the way through, then rotate the halves against one another to release one side from the pit. Remove the other with your knife.
- Peel the Avocado (3:40): ...peel the skin off of the avocado quarters and put them all into a large bowl.
- Mash Avocado with Potato Masher (4:10): ...create a smooth green paste by mashing the avocados with a potato masher.
- Mix in Spices with the Avocado (4:54): ...add 1/4 tsp. garlic salt, 1/4 tsp. onion salt, 1/4 tsp. chili powder, and 2 Tbsp. diced chili peppers.
- It's ready! (5:30): ...enjoy authentic Mexican guacamole!
- Alternative Recipe (5:35): ...presentation of an alternative recipe, identical to the one above except it uses your favorite salsa instead of chili peppers.
The Many Uses of Authentic Mexican Guacamole
While guacamole with tortilla chips is an awesome addition to Mexican meals, it also goes great with sandwiches or hot dogs.
Try a new twist on your favorite grilled burgers.
A nicely grilled steak with Mexican chili and guacamole is an exceptional eating experience.
Guacamole transforms the flavor of any taco, enhancing it for the better.
A tostada with a guacamole base is a fresh and simple way to enjoy almost any kind of leftover meat.
With Flautas (Taquitos)
Buy a box of frozen taquitos in the store. Make some guacamole. Dress them up and set them out at your next party--it's a real hit!
Guacamole makes a great addition to almost any sandwich. Adding avacado is good; adding guacamole is excellent.
Guacamole makes a marvelous dip for cheese, chicken or beef casadias.
Guacamole and nachos are very good friends. Get to know them together if you have not already.
Complete Video Instrutions
More by this Author
This article provides a framework for how to write essay conclusions that are clear, strong and powerful. The concepts are applicable to the essays of middle school and high school writing all the way up through...
This article contains a recording of each movement from Robert Schumann’s “Carnaval” along with brief notes for each movement that form a listening guide. A printable file of the notes is included for...
Using a combination of written program notes and explanatory videos that include musical examples, this article prepares the reader to listen to a performance of Bartók’s “Dances in Bulgarian...