How To Cook A Quick Xmas Meal For Two
Great Xmas Recipes For Two
There are times when we get together and celebrate Xmas with family and friends in a large way. Other times, you find yourself alone or with a friend, a partner, a child etc.
That is why this time, am covering simple techniques to fix quick Xmas meals for a small number of people or for two people. Even though it is nice and lovely to have family around and have fun drinking and eating, sharing in laughter and catching up, it can also be fun celebrating in with a good friend or with a partner.
Who wants to spend all their time in the kitchen making this or that anyway when you could be having fun, and still enjoy the good food you prepared quickly with free hassle? The first and foremost essential thing for any celebration is checking your finances. We cant forget the pocket and this can be a big factor when it comes to this spending season.
Spending too much money is not the key to very tasty meals or having the best Xmas. Organizing your budget early and going for simple yet lovely recipes is the key. Here are some guide rules:
- Draft your list with things that meet your budget... remember there is life after Xmas.
- After you have clearly drafted your list with all you need, try different shops and markets to see the price difference and to also check for fresher supplies.. this applies for vegetables and meat.
- Lets not forget the drinks, check out for a good yet affordable wine and if you are in the group of merry making.. then check out for your drinks in advance and if possible buy them because they are not perishable.
- Once your drinks are in the house, check out the list and price comparisons from where next to get the remaining items at a bargain.
- Buy other supplies but leave things like veg's and meat for last.
- When all that is done, lets begin.!
I will be showing you how to make a starter, main meal and my favorite desserts.
INGREDIENTS FOR STARTER:
- Scallops(handful about 5 each)
- Prawns(handful about 5 each)
- If you don't want prawns, then salmon will do
- Cherry tomatoes
- fresh spinach( a packet)
- Ground black pepper
- Place the plates on the table, the wine glasses and the cutlery.. basically set the table for two.
- Clean the scallops
- If the prawns are raw, cut on the sides of the prawns to remove the black bits
- If you are using salmon instead of prawns, season it with salt and pepper and place it in the oven for about 5 Min's and the cherry tomatoes.
- Have the shallots and garlic very finely diced.
- Fry a little olive oil on a hot pan, pour the prawns if the prawns are your option and scallops, 1 or 2 minutes, add the finely diced shallots and the garlic, season with salt and pepper( do not cook down) this is because we don't want the moisture in the prawns to poach them.
- Add a little butter if desired not necessarily, and take the pan from fire once it is melted because you don't want to burn it.
- Once that is done, on a very hot pan, add a little olive oil, put in the washed spinach but dried.. not so wet because water can cause the oil to splatter and cause burns.
- Throw in salt and pepper and after the spinach is wilted, squeeze a bit of lemon juice and remove from the heat.
- Voila starter is done, on your plate put the scallops and prawns or scallops with salmon and cherry tomatoes, in a good appetizing display, like I will illustrate on the picture, put the spinach on top and the juices and serve hot with oven ready baked bread.!
NOW THE MAIN COURSE
I am going to take you through the preparation of rack of lamb and red cabbage plus new potatoes. I love lamb, its my favorite meat but if it isn't for you, you can replace it with the type of meat that you love most. Here are the ingredients.
- Rack of Lamb
- Red cabbage
- baby or new potatoes
- Brambly apple
After washing the red cabbage,put in a pan with the brambly apple and sugar and on low heat, cook to simmer slowly. Season the rack of lamb with salt and pepper and on a hot pan, pour a little olive oil and place the rack of lamb turning on both sides to seal the flavors. You could add a little garlic if desired.
When the lamb is sealed, place it in the tray, then put it in the oven at a temperature of 250-250 degrees as hot as possible. prepare the new potatoes and put them whole in another tray and hop in the hot oven. Time the lamb for 15 minutes and check when the shallots are roasted and new potatoes are ready.
When the lamb is ready, leave it to cool down a bit and serve it with the red cabbage, the shallots and the new potatoes.
NOTE: The red cabbage should take some bit of time until its all soft so you may need to start cooking this way before the starter.
Serve the red cabbage with the rack of lamb and the shallots and the new potatoes and of course with your best red wine. Enjoy this with some lovely lit candles and slow background music to enhance the lovely meal. Isn't that a lovely Xmas guys?.
Lets come to the last.. shall we say saving the best for last.
- 4 small bananas
- 1/4 cup butter
- seeds from 4 cardamon pods
- Crushed 1/2 sliced almonds thinly pared zest and juice of 2 limes
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon dark rum
- vanilla ice cream to serve
Lets go bananas loll.. for our dessert, to finish up the lovely sumptuous meal, we will finish up with the natural sweetness of bananas with the combination of some rum and nuts... oulala. Sounds nice and lovely right?
- Melt butter, brown bananas, put them aside. melt remaining butter, add cardamon and almonds.
- Cook stirring until the almonds are a golden brown.
- Stir in the lime zest and juice, then the sugar.
- Cook stirring until the mixtures are smooth, bubbling and slightly reduced.
- Stir in the rum, pour the sauce onto the bananas and serve immediately with vanilla ice cream. :-)
Oh there are many other options if bananas aren't your favorite. Maybe some of you would consider having some melted chocolate over a hot fruit and vanilla ice cream? Yam!! Here is another one and how to do it and you can decide what is best for you.
- 1 bar of dark chocolate
- Apricot, peach or your choice of fruit
- Vanilla ice cream
- Brandy/ Rum
- Melt your chocolate slowly.. you can place it on a glass jar on top of a bowl of hot water or rather on a non stick pot on very low heat and all the while stirring slowly.
- Once the above step is ready, melt some butter on a heated pan, put in the fruits carefully being careful not to splatter oil because it can cause burns.
- Pour in some brandy or rum and flambe... using a match stick..light the brandy on top of the fruit to flambe it into a golden brown
- Place the still hot fruits on a plate, put a scoop of vanilla ice cream aside and pour the warm lovely chocolate sauce on top of the fruit and ice cream and the sauce of brandy in the fruit.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!!
There are other easy recipe guides to preparing Xmas desserts:
Easy Xmas Recipes
Other easy recipes
What did you think?
After writing about what to cook for Xmas for a small group or two people, I would very much look forward to hearing what you guys think. I believe I have shared something lovely with you and this is the reason I like hub pages because they bring us together and help us to teach and advice one another. I have learnt a lot from reading other hubs too especially when I have found myself stuck with questions on how do I do this or what should I do.
If this hub has been beneficial to anyone, don't forget to leave a comment and if you think there is something more I should have added to my ingredients, please feel free to say. Again if you have something more to add relating to my add, just follow me and I will be able to go to your hubs to view more and get more inspirations from elsewhere. meanwhile, lets write and write and do nothing but write. loll Have fun and be kind to one another.:-)
Quick gourmet food
No comments yet.