How To Cook A Vegetarian Ratatouille
How Do You Like This Recipe?
Since I came back from my holiday in the Philippines, I was not able to make my favorite French recipe, Ratatouille. Ratatouille is a vegetable stew which originated in the south of France. It is made from aubergines or eggplants, courgettes or zucchini, bell peppers, tomatoes, onions, garlics and some other herbs from the provence like oregano and parsley. I used to cook these vegetables with pork chops but today I made it in vegetarian way as I don´t like to eat much meat. No pork at all.
- 2 or more tablespoons olive oil
- 2 or more cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 big size onion, chopped
- 1 medium size tomatoe, peeled and sliced into small pieces
- 1 medium size aubergine (eggplant), cut into cubes or desired size
- juice of half lemon, juice to mix with the aubergine
- 1 medium size courgette/zucchini, cut into desirable size
- 1 medium size red bell pepper, cut into desirable size
- 1 big can tomatoe sauce, with tomatoe chunks
- 1 or more teaspoon oregano
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper or chili to taste
What Is Your Favorite Vegetable?See results without voting
How To Cook The Ratatouille
- Heat a frying pan or a pot for making a stew on a medium heat of an electric or gas range. You can make this stew in an open fire if you have to or want to. Spread and heat the oil in the pot. Sauté the cloves of garlic and onions. Stir. Be careful not to burn the garlic. Add the tomatoe slices and stir again.
- Mix the aubergine/eggplant with lemon juice so that it will not become dark in color. Add to the pot and stir very well. Then add the courgette/zucchini and the red bell peppers. Stir the vegetables and cover with the lid of the pot. Let it cook until the vegetables are half done.
- When it´s half done, add the can of tomatoe sauce with tomatoe chunks and let it cook for a few minutes or until it is done for your taste.
- Spread salt, pepper or chili and oregano on top of the stew and stir them well. Taste if it is salty or spicy enough for you.
- Put off the fire under the pot and spread the chopped parsley on top of the ratatouille. Voila! It is ready to be served.
- Serve ratatouille with rice or baguette and a glass of red wine if you wish. Bon Apetit!
How To Serve Ratatouille
Ratatouille can be serve in many ways:
- In Asia (ex. Philippines), you can serve Ratatouille by putting it in the middle of the table with other food and eat it with rice.
- In Europe like in Germany, France and Italy, we eat the Ratatouille with bread like bread rolls, (white, whole or rye bread rolls) but mostly with baguette.
Health Benefits Of:
- Aubergine has a lot of minerals and vitamins such as vitamin A,B,C, magnesium, calcium, potassium, etc. It contains no fat. It is known to have a chlorogenic acid which is high in antioxidant. It helps prevent cancer and lower the cholesterol.
- Bell Pepper has a lot of vitamin C, vitamin B6, folic acid, beta carotene and thiamin. Red bell pepper like tomatoe, contains lycopene which helps against heart diseases and cancer.
- Tomatoe contains a lot of lycopene which also helps protect against heart diseases and cancer. It has a lot of vitamins, minerals and lots of antioxidant to fight against different kinds of cancer. It is very healthy for the heart, the eyes, the skin and it helps fight against urinary infection.
- Garlic is known to be very healthy although it stinks a lot. It helps strengthen the immune system, helps against cold and flu, hypertension and against cancer.
- Courgette/Zucchini has a very low calorie and no cholesterol. It is a good source of Vitamin A & C, riboflavin, manganese, zinc, potassium, iron and thiamin.
- Onion contains a lot of Vitamin C, B1, B6, calcium and biotin. It helps fight against colds, flu and asthma. It is anti viral, lowers the blood pressure and makes the blood thin.
- Parsley helps strenghthen the immune system, is inflammatory, good for the heart, has a lot of vitamins and it prevents against prostate and colon cancer.
Thank you for reading this hub and I hope you enjoyed reading it. Please don´t forget to leave a comment.
Source: Wikipedia and Webster Dictionary
Know About Eggplant / Aubergine
Other Hubs By The Same Author
- How To Massage Your Face And Its Benefits
This article is a guide to how to do self facial massage and what benefits can we get in doing so.
- Herrenchiemsee Palace, The Royal Palace of King Ludwig II of Bavaria, Germany
This is a video hub about my second visit in Herrenchiemsee, The Royal Palace of King Ludwig II of Bavaria, Germany. On this visit I was only able to take a video of the palace and its huge park for it is still forbiden to take it inside.
- Chiemsee, The Biggest And Beautiful Lake In Bavaria, Germany
Chiemsee is the biggest and beautiful lake in Bavaria. Herrenchiemsee Palace of King Ludwig II of Bavaria is situated in Herreninsel, the largest island in Chiemsee.
- De Bazaar, The Black Market In Beverwijk, The Netherlands
This article is about my second visit to the largest covered supermarket De Bazaar. It is located in Beverwijk, The Netherlands. It is not far from Amsterdam, around 15 minutes by car. It is one of the main tourist attraction in The Netherlands. De B
- Tips On How To Stay Healthy At 50
Have you been thinking about your age lately? No? Well,I do. This article is about how I keep myself healthy and I want to give these tips to everybody who thinks life is over now. It is not!!!
© 2012 Thelma Alberts
More by this Author
This article is about my second visit to the largest covered supermarket De Bazaar. It is located in Beverwijk, The Netherlands. It is not far from Amsterdam, around 15 minutes by car. It is one of the main tourist...
Have you ever been to Germany for a holiday and have experienced German breakfast? Well if not, let me tell you the typical German breakfast.
Have you tried paraffin wax for your hands and feet? If not, try it and you will see how soft your hands and feet will be. It is a soothing wax spa treatment you´ll love to experience.