How To Cook Chinese Noodles
Chinese cuisine is popular the world over because it is easy to prepare,requires less time is often light,and yummy. Chinese restaurants are sought after for a different culinary experience and you never come away disappointed. Noodles and rice comprise the main dish,with some seasonings and garnishings that are authentically Chinese. A variety of noodles are available in the supermarket,and you can pick the one that is called for in the recipe you are following. You can choose from flat noodles,to string like noodles depending on the thickness. The noodles are to be cooked first and then seasoned. Some recipes call for fried noodles like the American Chopsuey or first cooked and then fried noodles as in Chow Mein.
Cooking the perfect noodles:
- Fill a large pot half or three fourth filled with water,and set to boil on high heat.
- When it begins to boil,add a teaspoon of vegetable oil,and then break up the noodles into four, from the packet and toss into the boiling water.
- Allow to cook for about 6 minutes.The noodles should be just cooked,can be slightly underdone.Use a fork to pull out a noodle to test for doneness.
- Strain the noodles into a large colander,and immediately run the noodles under a cold water tap. This step can be done in the kitchen sink.
- Set the cooked noodles aside while we get the seasonings ready. Noodles must be cooked and strained before you begin the final preparation. If you have a party or a dinner, you can keep all the ingredients on hand and the cooked noodles, cooked chicken,sliced vegetables, and toss into the final seasoning when ready to serve. Always best eaten hot!
Noodles can be prepared using the basic Chinese sauces,and a variety of meat and seafood,along with the vegetables for a complete meal. Choice of meat and seafood includes prawn,pork,chicken,while vegetables usually included are carrot,beans,capsicum,cabbage,celery,spring onions. Mushrooms and tofu (soyabean curd) are also used sometimes. All the above can be used in any combination according to the ingredients on hand or one's choice. Garlic is used for flavour.
200 gm noodles
200 gm prawns
200 gm chicken
1/2 small cabbage
200 gm french beans
1 bunch spring onions
1 stalk celery
10 flakes garlic
5 tsp peanut oil
salt to taste
- Cook and shred chicken into small strips.
- Cook prawns.
- Cut carrot, beans,capsicum into thin strips
- Slice cabbage and spring onions fine.
- Cut celery into flat pieces.
- Grind garlic into a paste.
- Beat egg till stiff.
- In a pan, heat oil and fry garlic paste with all cut vegetables and sauté till half done.
- Add according to taste,soya sauce,tomato sauce,chilli sauce,salt,white pepper. Keep stirring.
- Now add the cooked chicken and prawn.Top with noodles and give a final toss to mix.
- Serve onto a wide serving plate.
- Cook an omelette with the beaten egg ,cut into thin strips and decorate the noodles.
Noodles or Rice-Eaten with Chopsticks!
Do You Enjoy Chinese Cuisine?See results without voting
More by this Author
Whole chicken marinated and half cooked with Tandoori masala hanging on skewers ready to be plunged into a hot Tandoor for a second time to finish the cooking process at a restaurant. Whole Tandoori chicken cooked in...
Asians and Indians in particular love the spicy dish called Biryani.It is mildly fragrant,a complete meal in itself,prepared with rice and chicken.Lamb may also be used instead of chicken.Festivals and marriages...
I took this picture very early in the morning while the lady of the house was drawing this festive rangoli. The unfinished design shows earthern pots with rice being cooked and sugar canes, which are part of every...