How To Cook Pot Roast In a Cast Iron Dutch Oven: Recipe Ingredients and Directions with Photo Review
How To Make American Pot Roast
|Serving size: 6-8 People|
|Calories from Fat||54|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 6 g||9%|
|Cholesterol 354 mg||118%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- Prep time: 45 min
- Cook time: 3 hours 45 min
- Ready in: 4 hours 30 min
- Yields: Serves 6-8 People
How To Make a Beef Pot Roast in a Cast Iron Dutch Oven
You want to make a Pot Roast for that special occasion. Maybe someone asked you to make it for them. Maybe you want to try this traditional American dish. Perhaps your grandmother used to make this dish and you want to learn how she made it. Whatever your reason, this recipe will help you get through the entire process and you will enjoy a delicious comfort meal.
American Pot Roast is a time honored tradition. It is a champion of dishes served in American kitchens for hundreds of years and many more to come. This is the kind of "Sunday Night Dinner" that will create memories for a lifetime. This Pot Roast Recipe is fairly easy and fool-proof. It's healthy and smart. If you have never made Pot Roast you should consider making it today! It is a great slow-cooked meal whether you are sick or if it is cold outside. Or maybe you just want a great home cooked meal!
Beginning with quality fresh ingredients and ending with your family asking for more, this Beef Pot Roast with Vegetables Recipe will warm you up on a cold night. It's fast and delicious and will become a favorite for your family and friends for years to come. This recipe will leave an impression on people.
Pot Roast Recipe Ingredients: What You Will Need to Buy at the Store
Pot Roast Ingredients
- 4 lbs. Beef Rump Roast, Use Fresh Meat
- 6 Cups (about 3 mdeium) Sliced Onion, Cut into 1/4" slices
- 2 Tbsp. Paprika, *(prefer Hungarian Sweet; any will do)
- 1/2 tsp. Dried Basil
- 1/2 tsp. Dried Oregano
- 1/2 tsp. Dried Thyme
- 3 Fresh Golic Cloves
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Water, (Natural Spring Water without Chlorine tastes best)
- 2 Tbsp. Red Wine Vinegar, *(can substitute with 1/2 Cup Dry Red Wine)
- 1 Can (14.25 oz) Beef Broth, *(use Low-Sodium brand if desired)
- 6-10 (1 lb.) Red (Bliss) Potatoes; Many varieties will do, (Will have to cut and shape to fit)
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 lb. Carotts, *(can use Baby Carrots but may take a little longer)
- Can Cooking Spray, You will need to spray the entire inside of your Cast Iron Dutch Oven for some steps in this recipe.
Recipe Ingredients In Photos!Click thumbnail to view full-size
How To Make Pot Roast: Step by Step Instructional PhotosClick thumbnail to view full-size
How To Cook a Pot Roast
- Make sure that your cast iron dutch oven is 4-6 quarts, clean and seasoned.
- Peel and Cut onions so they are about an inch long and a quarter inch wide. Set aside.
- If using baby carrots, rinse them. If using regular carrots, rinse and peel 6 and cut into 2 inch pieces. Set aside.
- Spray the cast iron dutch oven well with cooking spray and place on the stove top on medium-high heat.
- Add the pot roast to the dutch oven and briefly brown all the sides of the cut. This will help seal in the flavor. When the roast is browned on all sides, remove and set aside.
- Spray a little more cooking spray to the dutch oven. Add the onions and sauté for 10 minutes. Don't let them stick to the pan or they will burn.
- Add the Paprika, Basil, Oregano, Thyme and Garlic and continue to stir and sauté for an additional one minute or so. Make sure the ingredients are blended thoroughly. They will have a reddish-orange appearance.
- Add the Water, Wine/Red Wine Vinegar and Beef Broth. Stir and bring to a boil. *(if you choose red wine vinegar over dry red wine you may need to add a little more water)
- Once your mixture is boiling, add the Potatoes, Carrots, Salt and Pepper. Stir.
- Carefully add the Roast to the mixture and make sure it is mostly submerged in the liquid. *(add water as needed. Do not fill to the top and allow a portion of the meat to be above the liquid line.)
- Cover the Cast Iron Dutch Oven and Put in the oven. Bake at 300 F for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, Flip the Roast over and stir lightly the other ingredients. Cook for an addition hour or until tender. Meat should be able to separate with a fork when done.
- Either serve from the Dutch oven or remove roast, cut and serve vegetables and broth on the side.
Pot Roast Completed: The Best Part!
Rate This Pot Roast Recipe!
More by this Author
This recipe is a Southeast Asian Khmer Cambodian Recipe that was influenced by the French during the Colonial Period. Of course, as Cambodians always do, they made a recipe into their own using Coconuts which are native...
These Banana Sesame Fritters make a great snack whether for after school or after a meal. They are best accompanied by Home Made Coconut Ice Cream but can eaten alone as well! This would make a great appetizer or side...
- 37How To Make A Chess Board: Guide To Drawing, Scoring and Wood Burning Techniques To Create Homemade Chess Checkers Board
Do You Like Playing Chess or Checkers? Do You Enjoy Wood-Working at Home? Have You Ever Considered Creating a Unique Chessboard of Your Own? Well now you can with these simple do-it-yourself instructions!