How To Cook The Best-Tasting Sweet and Sour Pork
Sweet and sour pork is a pork recipe that is a favorite of many especially those who love the perfect blend of sweetness and sourness of the dish. The vinegar that imparts the sour taste should blend well with the sweetness of the dish. No one taste should overpower the other.
The dish becomes more attractive and delicious with the addition of red or green bell pepper and onions.
- 400 g lean pork, cut into triangular shapes
- 1/2 tsp meat tenderizer, optional
- 1 pc egg yolk
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 pc red onion
- 4 pcs thin ginger, sliced
- 3 pcs shallots, crushed
- 2 cloves garlic, unpeeled and crushed
- 2 stalks coriander
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 cup strong vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3-4 tbsps sugar, heaping
- a dash red food coloring
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tbsp ketchup
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 pc ginger, cut into slivers
- 1 pc red onion
- 5-6 tbsps cornstarch
- 2 tbsps oil
- a splash rice wine
- cornstarch water
- Cut pork into triangles. This cut cooks faster and gives the meat volume. Marinate pork in beaten egg yolk, sugar and light soy and mix well. Prepare the rest of the ingredients. Tip: egg yolk imparts fragrant smell to the meat
- For the sauce: Slice the ends of the red onion, ginger, shallots, garlic and coriander. Heat the oil in a wok and cook the sauce ingredients until brown and fragrant.
- When brown, add the strong vinegar, water, and the sugar. Add a dash of food coloring, Worcestershire sauce, dark soy sauce, ketchup. Add vinegar and sugar to taste then strain.
- Make the vegetables: Coat pork with cornstarch then deep-fry until golden brown. Drain pork. In a wok, add oil and vegetables. Add 1/3 of the sauce, add a splash of rice wine then add cornstarch water to thicken sauce. Add pork and mix well.
- Tip: A good Sweet and Sour Pork dish should be sweet, sour and fragrant. Color should be appealing and the ingredients should not drown but merely coated in sauce.
Benefits of eating pork
Pork is a rich source of proteins.
How To Cook Sweet and Sour Pork-thanks to Reecie Reece
© 2013 WAHmom
More by this Author
Chicken is the most commonly-used fowl for food. Chickens are easy to raise and the meat is very cheap. Chickens are a very rich source of protein, the substance that is important for building muscles. They are also...
The milkfish is a type of salt-water fish that is abundant in the waters of the Pacific and Indian Oceans and tend to live close to the islands, coasts and coral reefs. It is an important source of food of people from...
Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins whose important components are carbon, hydrogen, oxygen and nitrogen. There are 22 amino acids, 9 of which are called essential amino acids because it is...
No comments yet.