How To Make Brownies Out Of A Cake Mix
So, there I was, staring into the pantry. I knew what I wanted and also knew I didn't have it. I wanted brownies. The warm, chocolatey, gooey brownies with a nice glass of milk. All we had in the pantry was cake mix. Blah. . .that's just not the same.
Then I remembered that on Pinterest lately there has been a huge deal of cake mix brownie bars going around so I turned to the internet. I found a few recipes and decided to combine a few things here and a little there and make my own brownie bars. I must say, what turned out was really, really good!!!
- 9 by 13 inch baking pan
- Cooking Spray
- 1 Stick Butter
- 1 Box Moist-Recipe White Cake Mix, Any cake mix can be used but if you use chocolate you might not want to add the cocoa
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tablespoons Water
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons Cocoa, Added just to make it more chocolatey
- 3 Square Cubes Grated Bakers Chocolate, You can use chocolate chips (I didn't have any)
- Large Spoon
- Electric Mixer With Beaters
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F
- Spray the bottom and sides of a baking pan thoroughly with cooking spray. (I didn't have cooking spray so I just used the crisco like my mom did when I was little)
- Place the stick of butter in a microwave-safe container and heat for 30 seconds on medium-high heat or until melted.
- Combine cake mix, melted butter, brown sugar, egg and water in a large mixing bowl. Mix it with an electric mixer for one to two minutes, or until thick and creamy. The mixture should resemble a thick cake or brownie batter (almost like cookie dough).
- Mix in cocoa and chocolate into the batter with a large spoon.
- Put the batter into the greased baking pan and press the batter into the pan firmly with the back of the spoon.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until a dry crust forms over the top of the brownies. (I took mine out at 30 minutes because my family like the soft centers)
- Remove the pan from the oven with pot holders or oven mits and allow the brownies to cool completely. Place it on a cooling rack to speed cooling, if desired.
- Cut brownies into 2 or 3 inch bars and serve.
THE FINISHED CAKE MIX BROWNIES. . .
Tips and Warnings
- Refrigerate any unused batter portion immediately. Cake-mix brownies will keep in the refrigerator for three to five days.
- Add frosting, sprinkles, carmel, etc for more decadent brownies.
- You can use white chocolate, carmel, mint, peanut butter or butterscotch chips instead of the chocolate ones if you want.
- This recipe will make brownies out of any cake mix! I suggest using any moist recipe but any flavor will work. Red Velvet, fruit-flavored, devils food, white, yellow, chocolate, anything.
More by this Author
Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue and Purple, the main colors of the rainbow. When layered and baked these colors turn into an edible rainbow!
Ever since I've been in a kitchen there have always been these little things that help fix so much stuff. Lemon juice and vinegar help with a lot of scent issues, even coffee grounds in a sock in the freezer (who would...
Have you ever gotten a gift so nicely wrapped with that amazing bow attached to the front that you don't want to open because it's so pretty? With the help of these instructions you can make your own fancy Christmas...