How To Make Vietnamese Marinated Pork Deli Sandwiches With French Bread In Cambodian Cooking Recipe
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Marinate Time: 3 hours
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
A Tale of 3 Countries...
This recipe is inspired by three different cultures: A Cambodian twist on a Vietnamese Traditional Sandwich influenced by the French during the French Colonial Period.
Called "Bah Mi" in the Cambodian Khmer Language, the Cambodian People have taken a sandwich idea from their neighbors in Vietnam and made it their own! Where do the French come in? This recipe uses French Bread which can be found all over Southeast Asia.
This sandwich is delicious and is often sold on the street by vendors. You can usually get these delicious sandwiches in the "China Town" section of many large American Cities. That is how I came across this recipe! The first time I tried this delightful sandwich was in Boston's China Town.
This recipe will be broken down into 3 Sections:
- Main Ingredients
- Marinade Ingredients and Recipe
- Recipe for Pickled Vegetables (Click link for recipe)
Let's have a look at the Ingredients:
Marinated Pork Sandwich: Main Ingredients
How To Prepare
Pork Loin with Fat
14 oz (400 g)
Bottled Chili Sauce
1/3 Cup (80 g)
**See Recipe Link Above [#3]**
Peel and Slice Thick
Fresh Coriander (Cilantro) Leaves
Pestle and Mortar*
*For Grinding Herbs (a Food Processor can be used as a substitute)
Zip-Lock Baggie or Shallow DIsh
Let's look at the Ingredients for the Marinade:
How To Prepare
3 whole cloves
1/3 cup (80 ml)
Now let's look at the recipe!
Cambodian-Vietnamese Marinated Pork Sandwich Recipe
- Using a sharp knife, make Diamond Shaped Cuts in the Pork Rind.
- To make the Marinade:
- Crush the Garlic and Star Anise in a Mortar.
- Add the Oil, Soy Sauce and Honey and mix well.
- Marinate the Pork in a Zip-lock Bag or hollow dish for three hours in the refridgerator and Turn it Regularly.
- When marinating is complete, cook the meat on a Medium-Hot Grill or in the Oven @ 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 Celsius) for approximately 20 minutes.
- Baste Regularly while cooking with remaining Marinade Sauce.
- Set meat aside to cool.
- Slice meat crosswise so that each piece of the the meat has some fat on it.
Assembling the Sandwich
- Cut the Baguette into three (3) pieces.
- Slice each of the pieces in half, lengthwise.
- Spread each piece of the bread with a little Chili Sauce (to taste)
- Fill each sandwich with the Pickled Vegetables.
- Add the Cucumber Slices, Coriander Leaves, and Sliced Pork.
- Serve Immediately!
Jong Yam! (Let's Eat!)
More Recipes by J.S.Matthew
- About Cambodia, Srok Khmer: Facts, Fun, and Photos: A Guide To Cambodian Culture
Cambodia has a long and interesting history, including one of the worst atrocities to ever happen to a single country. The Khmer Rouge killed millions of innocent people in this genocide. This article includes recent pictures that my wife took on he
- How To Make Honey Glazed Chicken: A Khmer Southeast Asian Recipe
Traditionally, this dish is cooked in an earthenware pot. These pots are usually hand-made in the Kampong Chang region. The pot is placed in a small barbecue to add a smoky flavor to the dish. The herbs and spices flavors are arroused by the content
- Southeast Asian Water Festival in Lowell, MA: Photo Journey
The Southeast Asian Water Festival in Lowell, MA is held on the third Saturday of August every year. This article is a display of the events through Original Photos (Are You in one of them?) and descriptions of the Festival's Vendors and Events...
- How To Make Cambodian Khmer Sweet Coconut Waffles
This recipe is a Southeast Asian Khmer Cambodian Recipe that was influenced by the French during the Colonial Period. Of course, as Cambodians always do, they made a recipe into their own using Coconuts which are native to the region!
- How To Make Healthy Fresh Spring Salad Summer Rolls With Shrimp Rice Paper Recipe
Many Asian cultures eat Spring Rolls (often called Salad or Summer Rolls) but this recipe comes from Cambodia, Southeast Asia. You can add shrimp or omit it depending on your desired taste.
- How To Make Asian Sesame Banana Fritters At Home
These Banana Sesame Fritters make a great snack whether for after school or after a meal. They are best accompanied by Home Made Coconut Ice Cream but can eaten alone as well! This would make a great appetizer or side dish at a family party or your n
- How To Make Green Mango, Chili Coriander, and Tamarind Asian Dipping Sauces
In the first article of this series, we explored the Basic Ingredients for Cooking Cambodian-Southeast Asian Food. One of the most common foods found in Cambodian, and many other Southeast Asian homes, that are easy to make and inexpensive, are Dippi
- A List of Authentic Ingredients for Khmer Cambodian Food With Recipes
Cambodian recipes are usually not written down, but rather passed from generation to generation by showing children how to prepare these dishes in their own kitchens. It is a great cultural significance and bonding ritual within many Asian communitie
- 2 Quick Appetizer Recipes: How To Make Shrimp Fritters and Sweet Potato Rolls with Ginger
Are you looking for quick, easy and delicious appetizer recipes? Then look no further! This article has 2 recipes: Shrimp Fritters and a recipe for Sweet Potato Rolls with Ginger. The recipes come from Cambodia, Southeast Asia and were influenced by
- How To Make Palm Sugar Pearls with Coconut Cambodian Khmer Recipe
This is a cherished desert from Southeast Asia in Cambodia! There is an old wive's tale that these are sometimes called "Husband Killer Cake" in the native Khmer Language. The rumor is that when a wife would catch her husband cheating she would act l
- How To Make Sweet Soybean Coconut Cake Desert Recipe
A Delicious Soybean Cake Recipe that makes a great companion to Homemade Coconut Ice Cream with Caramelized Bananas! Follow this recipe and be delighted by a Sweet Southeast Asian Cambodian Khmer Desert!
- How To Make Homemade Coconut Ice Cream with Caramelized Bananas
Ice Cream is a delicious treat but did you know that you can make it from home? That's right! This Hub Article will guide you through the steps to make Delicious Coconut Ice Cream with Caramelized Bananas.
- How To Make 3 Basic Cambodian Khmer Curry Dishes for Chicken, Seafood, or Meat and A Tangy Ham and V
One of the most enjoyed dishes in Cambodia, Southeast Asia, India and all over the world, is Curry. Curry has a very distinct aroma and taste. You can season Pork, Chicken, Beef, or Lamb with Curry, and these recipes are easy to make and don't take
- My Soul Mate Found Me! A Short Essay On Karma Love and My Beautiful Cambodian Wife!
A love story about 2 people who would have never met, except for a series of unfortunate events that brought them together. Dealing with failed relationships and surviving the Khmer Rouge, an ethnic cleansing regime in Cambodia's dark past.
- Learn How To Speak and Write Cambodian: An Introduction To The Khmer Language
An introduction to Khmer, the language of Cambodia. Includes pronunciation, character/letter writing, original photos and drawings. This is the best guide for a beginner who wants to learn how to read, write, and speak Khmer Cambodian.
More by this Author
Green Papaya Salad is a popular dish throughout Southeast Asia. Since Cambodia, Laos, Thailand and Vietnam have a very hot and humid climate, salads are often eaten as a light meal.
- 29Cooking Ingredients for Authentic South East Asian Cuisine Recipes: Use Cambodian Spices Roots and Herbs for Health
Cambodian recipes are usually not written down, but rather passed from generation to generation by showing children how to prepare these dishes in their own kitchens. It is of great cultural significance and a bonding...
These Banana Sesame Fritters make a great snack whether for after school or after a meal. They are best accompanied by Home Made Coconut Ice Cream but can eaten alone as well! This would make a great appetizer or side...