How To Make Easy Peanut Butter Buckeye Balls
Peanut Butter Buckeye Balls Make a Great Holiday Treat
Easy Peanut Butter Buckeye Balls Make a Great Holiday or Any Occasion Treat
Need a quick and easy idea for something to make for a family get-together or any other entertainment event. These fast and easy peanut butter buckeye balls make a great last minute candy treat that doesn't take forever to make. Now, keep in mind that "forever" is subjective. This project will take about three or four hours from start to finish.
The end result will be a fantastic sweet treat that will probably go over really well with all of your guests who have a sweet tooth. They are also a great compliment to go along with peanut butter ripple ice cream, and a nice coffee or tea. They are also amenable to experimentation so let your imagination go wild. I've included a few ideas below, but I'm sure there are many other enhancements that other people might think of adding. It would be great to hear comments about variations on this theme.
What You Will Need
Essential Items fo
1. A Large Bowl
2. A Double Boiler, a simmer burner on your stove, or a fondue pot.
3. You do not NEED a mixer with a bread making attachment, but you CAN use one if you like.
4. Nestles White Chocolate Morsels or Reeses Peanut Butter Morsels.
5. 1 lb of Confectioner's sugar (powdered sugar)
6. Vanilla Extract
7. Butter or Margarine
8. 2 9" X 12" cookie sheets
9. Aluminum foil
- 1 1/2 Cups Creamy or Chunky Peanut Butter
- 1 lb (16 oz) Confectioner's Sugar
- 1/4 lb Butter or Margarine, Softened
- 1 tsb Vanilla Extract
- 1 bag Nestle's White Chocolate Morsels or Reeses Peanut Butter Morsels
- 2 tbs Crisco
Step-by-Step Instructions on How to Make Easy Peanut Butter Buckeye Balls
- Soften Butter in a microwave or over a double boiler and add to your large bowl. Take all rings and jewelry off of your hands.
- Add 1 lb bag of confectioners sugar
- Add 1 1/2 cup peanut butter (smooth or chunky).
- Add 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Combine all ingredients by hand until you have a nice firm ball of the mixture that is evenly mixed.
- You'll probably want to wash your hands at this point.
- Line 2 9" X 12" Cookie Sheets With Aluminum Foil. You can use waxed paper for this also.
- Roll peanut butter mixture into balls about 1" in diameter and line them up on the cookie sheets. You can use a teaspoon or melon baller to help if you don't want to use only your bare hands.
- Insert a toothpick into each peanut butter ball and put the cookies sheets in the refrigerator for about an hour or an hour and a half.
- Add 2 tbs of Crisco to your double boiler or fondue pot and heat to liquify. Start melting your white chocolate or peanut butter morsels when the peanut butter balls are near ready to come out of the refrigerator. You don't want your candy coating to either be too thin or to thick, so you may have to had more morsels pieces or more Crisco to adjust the consistency.
- Dip each ball into the melted chocolate or peanut butter morsels about 7/8 of the way (leave some peanut butter exposed at the top of each ball.
- Return the chocolate or peanut butter balls to the refrigerator for a few hours.
- After the white chocolate or peanut butter outside shell has hardened, remove the toothpicks from all your buckeye balls, and put them in a sealed container in the fridge until you are ready to serve them.
- This recipe should yield around 40-50 buckeye balls.
How to Melt Chocolate
Hamilton Beach Hands-Free Coffee Grinder
Estimated Nutrition Facts (Varies by Size and Ingredients)
|Serving size: 1 Ball|
|Calories from Fat||90|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 10 g||15%|
|Saturated fat 4 g||20%|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 14 g||5%|
|Sugar 9 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 70 mg||3%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Easy Peanut Butter Buckeye Balls Offer a Myriad of Experimental Variations
Don't limit your imagination by what is contained only in this recipe, as you can coat your buckeye balls with all sorts of things to make them individualized. Here is some ideas for modifications to this recipe.
- Use Nutella instead of peanut butter.
- Try swirling milk chocolate and white chocolate together, for a swirled effect coating.
- Try swirling peanut butter morsels and strawberry morsels together for a swirled effect. (If you can't find Nestes' Strawberry morsels, you might find strawberry baking chips among cooking chocolates in a specialty store.
- Try adding some cherry juice to the peanut butter/confectionor's sugar/butter mix instead of vanilla extract.
- Try adding some finely chopped nuts to the melted white chocolate or Reeses peanut butter morsels. I have found that a good way to chop a small amount of nuts into a fine powder is to use my small kitchen coffee griner.
Tips for Healthier Peanut Butter Buckeye Balls
Here Are Some Quick Tips on How to Make Your Buckeye Balls Healhier
- Instead of Confectioner's sugar and butter, substitute garbonzo beans (chick peas) and honey. You will need about 1 1/2 cups of cooked, drained, and rinsed garbonzos (15 oz can) and 1/2 cup of honey. Process the chick peas in a food processor until they are a smooth consistency, then in a large bowl, mix chick peas, honey, vanilla, and peanut butter, and 1/2 tsp of salt. Knead until the mixture becomes stiff and homogeneous. Source: http://happyhealthymama.com/2011/12/skinny-buckeyes.html
More by this Author
Apple Pie Boil-O is a traditional North Eastern Pennsylvania Coal-Cracker, Mining Town Drink. It's a great holiday beverage, which can be served either warm or cold, and with or without alcohol.
Russian Apple Sharlotka is a staple dessert in my home. Everytime it gets made in my house, it gets made differently, so here to the best of my ability, I will try to give you a basic recipe.
Love tea and interested in your health. Forever Living Aloe Blossom Herbal Tea is great tasting, non-caffeine tea with the belived health benefits of many herbs.