How To Make Homemade Oven Baked Chips or French Fries
I will be very honest with you, I thought these chips / fries would be a huge disaster! After all we are dealing with hard raw potato, the chance for them to come out still half raw or frazzelled was pretty high.
I'm delighted to say they turned out really nice!! (even if I do say so myself). The chips were cooked just right, unlike frying you chips you definitely feel as if you are in charge, want them more crispy? leave them for 5 minutes longer, like your chips thinner? cut them thinner, want them a bit healthier use light spray rather than oil.
The chips turned out crispy, tasty and were super quick. Homemade chips are the way forward, Ill never buy shop bought again!
- 750g Potatoes, Peeled
- 2 tablespoons Groundnut oil, (For lighter chips use light spray)
- Salt & Pepper Sprinkled
- Put Oven onto top heat (mine was 220c) Peel Potatoes and slice into 1cm slices (the size can be less or more depending on your preference)
- Once sliced then chop longways into 1cm chips / fries (again the size can be less or more depending on your preference). Do not worry about everything being even - uneven is rustic!
- Pop chip / fries slices into some cold water once chopped - so they do not brown
- Once chopped put slices into a pan of boiling water for 3 minutes. Blanche under cold water and then drain
- Whilst boiling line a baking tray with greaseproof paper and pour on groundnut oil
- Add chips to the tray and ensure they are well covered, make sure chips are all flat, and season well with salt and pepper
- Put into oven for 35 minutes, check after 10 minutes and turn, keep on checking everything 10 minutes and increase or reduce total cooking time as appropriate
- Put into dish and Enjoy!!
More potato recipes
- Baked Potato Cakes
Simple, quick baked potato cakes