How To Make Marzipan
Nutrional Information | Marzipan
|Serving size: 500 gram homemade marzipan for confection|
|Calories from Fat||1755|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 195 g||300%|
|Saturated fat 13 g||65%|
|Carbohydrates 191 g||64%|
|Sugar 113 g|
|Fiber 52 g||208%|
|Protein 78 g||156%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Ingredients To Make Marzipan
- 400 gram Raw Almonds, (Max. 20 gr raw, bitter almond)
- 140 gram Granulated Sugar
- Water, (Just enough to cover the sugar in a pot)
Almonds | Main Ingredients In Marzipan
Living in the mountainous country side in Andalucia - the first sign of spring is the beautiful, magical white and pink flowers when the almond trees bloom in late January.
The almond tree can do a lot more than just look pretty: it produces almonds...and almonds are the main ingredients in raw marzipan.
Making Marzipan from Scratch
If you are as lucky as I am to live in an almond growing climate, you can do the whole process from picking the almonds off the tree to the finished homemade marzipan. (I will tell you every step of the Almond preparing process in another Hub).
If you are not that lucky...you will just have to buy almonds.
Since the beginning of this Millennium I have had the pleasure of making marzipan from scratch every Christmas.
If you follow my step by step guide on how to make homemade marzipan, I hope you will feel the same pleasure, and you will most likely be very popular with your family and friends.
However right now: Lets focus on making marzipan!
The Almond Trees Blossom In Late January in Torrox, Andalucia, Spain.
Let's Make Marzipan
- If your almonds aren't already skinned, pour some boiling water over them and let them soak for 5 minutes. The skin should then be easy to just squeeze off between your thumb and your forefinger. Let them dry on a tea towel for 3 - 4 hours.
- Blend the almonds in a blender or a food processor until they are almost as fine as flour.
- Bring granulated sugar and water to a boil in a saucepan, and let it boil, stirring continuously, until it has the consistency of syrup.
- Drop a teaspoon with a little bit of the sugar mass into a glass of cold water ... if the droplets harden like caramel ... the sugar mass is finished. Remove from the heat ... turn down, but not off.
- Add the blended almonds and stir around. Add more water if the marzipan doesn't stick together.
- Put the saucepan over low heat again, and dry the marzipan for a few minutes while stirring.
- Put the marzipan in a bowl, and let it rest covered in the refrigerator for 3 - 4 hours.
- If the marzipan is too sticky to work with, knead with a little icing sugar.
This Is What Your Raw Marzipan Should Look Like
500 Gram of Raw Marzipan
When you are finished, you should have approximately 500 gram of raw marzipan, you can use for making confection, desserts and to use in (and on) cakes.
Do not be alarmed about the 2742 calories in 500 gram of raw marzipan. You are not going to eat 500 gram of mouthwatering, delicious marzipan all by yourself. There will be plenty of people who wants to share your creations!
Marzipan might be "sin city" in the world of culinary delights, but by the time you have spend half of it on cakes and desserts and made around 100 pieces of confection, the calories will have been divided on many people and many days and will have reached a less decadent figure.
How To Make Marzipan From Scratch
Too Much Work? Well..Cheat! Buy Some Delicious Marzipan.
Handmade, deliciously rich, all natural almond marzipan, infused with savory Espresso and covered in the finest Belgian couverture chocolate.
What Can Almonds Do For You?
- A is for Almonds: Diabetes Self-Management
Eating almonds has been linked with lowering blood cholesterol levels. A study published in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition back in 2003 showed that 25 men and women with normal or mildly high LDL (bad) cholesterol levels who ate a high
- Marzipan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Marzipan is a confection consisting primarily of sugar and almond meal. It derives its characteristic flavor from bitter almonds, which constitute 4% to 6% of the total almond content by weight. Some marzipan is also flavored with r
- The Almond Doctor
Almond trees are susceptible to bloom and foliar diseases when it rains at bloom, and the decision of when to spray and what fungicides to use can be quite difficult. In the San Joaquin Valley we are usually in a low precipitation region and we canno
© 2010 Dorte Holm Jensen
More by this Author
Learn how to dry raisins in the Sun. Nothing taste like your own home produced big and juicy sun dried raisins.
Did you know that the avocado fruit has the nickname; "Testis Fruit"? Learn why and get familar with the avocado fruit.
How to dry figs in the sun. Make your own dried figs for Christmas.