How To Make The Best Chinese Kung Pao Shrimp
Here is a hot spicy dish, Kung Pao shrimp. Traditionally, Kung Pao dish is made of chicken, peanut, vegetable, hot spicy chili and Sichuan peppercorn. This spicy shrimp dish could be does not exist in traditional Sichuan cuisine but do not underestimate. It's taste just as authentic as Sichuan Kung Pao.
Sichuan cuisine is known for using Sichuan peppercorn as main flavoring in many dishes. Thus a Kung Pao dish without Sichuan peppercorn is not a Kung Pao. It could be just a Kung Pao inspired dish.
A handful of Sichuan peppercorn is a must when preparing any Kung Pao dishes. This recipe is using Sichuan peppercorn oil to infuse the meat protein with unique lemony aroma that will create numbing sensation on your palate. Peppercorn oil is available in Asian supermarket and its ready to use, or you can make it at home by heating a half cup of canola oil and one fourth cup of Sichuan peppercorn. When the oil reach smoking point, turn off the heat and transfer the oil mixture into a jar.
This recipe is very easy to fix. It's a good alternative to Westernised version of Kung Pao dishes.
1 lbs shrimp, peeled
1/2 cup roasted peanut
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp minced ginger
2 sping onions, chopped
3 dried hot chili
1 cup cooking oil
2 tsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
4 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp hoisin sauce
2 tsp chili paste
1 tbsp Chinese rice wine
How to Fix
- In a bowl, combine shrimp with cornstarch and salt. Stir to mix. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine rice vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, hoisin sauce, chili paste and rice wine. Set aside.
- Heat a wok over high heat. Pour the oil in. When hot, add shrimp. Stir-fry for 1 minute or until the shrimp is pin. Remove the shrimp from oil and drain. Transfer all the oil to oil pot.
- Heat 2 tablespoon of oil, then add garlic, ginger, dried hot chili and spring onions. Stir-fry for 30 seconds or until the aromatics are fragrant. Then pour the sauce mixture in. Bring it to a boil.
- Add the shrimp and stir rapidly to warm and blend through. Stir-fry for just 1 minutes or until the sauce is thickened. Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with roasted peanut.
More Chinese Recipes
- Stir-Fried Spinach (Yin Choi) With Garlic Recipe. How To Stir-Fry Spinach
Learn how to stir-fry spinach. Easy, tasty and healthy vegetarian dish.
- Sichuan Dry-Fried Green Beans Recipe (Gan Bian Si Ji Dou)
- Chinese Stir-Fried Bitter Gourd With Pork And Black Bean Sauce Recipe
- Chinese Shrimp Toast Recipe
- Chinese Dim Sum Chicken Congee Recipe (Gai Juk)
Spicy Kung Pao Shrimp
More by this Author
Shanghai fried chicken Flickr by Snowpea&bokchoi This is my favorite Chinese fried chicken recipe. It's easy to make and of course tasty. This recipe does not require any breading or batter at all. The chicken...
Indonesian oxtail soup - sop buntut Flickr by Miss Yasmina Sop Buntut - Tender oxtail slices with potatoes and carrots swim in clear but rich broth. Among Indonesian soups, sop buntut (Indonesian oxtain soup) is...
Craving for delicious fried chicken wings ?. Here is the most easy to fix Chinese style deep fried chicken wings. Every body will just love it and craving for more.