How To Make The Perfect Fragrant CHICKEN BIRYANI The Easy Way-In A Cooker
Asians and Indians in particular love the spicy dish called Biryani.It is mildly fragrant,a complete meal in itself,prepared with rice and chicken.Lamb may also be used instead of chicken.Festivals and marriages among Christians and Muslims in India must have this dish prepared in addition to other dishes.Accompaniments include sliced cucumber,a sour and spicy brinjal curry(Bagara Bhaigan),and a raitha(chopped onions,tomatoes and cucumbers in curds).You may garnish the biryani with fried onions,almonds and raisins.Chicken Kababs,boiled eggs,may also be served alongside.This irresistible aromatic dish is finished off with a dessert of payasam/phirnee at the end.
- Basmati Rice or any long grained good quality rice,1 kg
- Chicken,around 950 gms,jointed and cut into medium-sized pieces(with or without skin)
- Oil(sunflower/peanut),3-4 tbsp
- Dalda/vanaspati(hydrogenated fat),10 tbsp
- Onions,3 large,sliced thinly
- Tomatoes,3 ripe red,pureed
- Coriander leaves,1 bunch
- Mint leaves,1 bunch
- Lime,1 large and juicy
- Curds/yoghurt,3-4 tbsp
- Coriander powder,2 tsp
- Chilli powder,3 tsp
- Turmeric powder,1tsp
- Bay leaf,1
- Cinnamon,2 long sticks
- Ginger and garlic paste,3 -4 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Peas,shelled,a large handful
- Carrots,sliced,a handful
- Green chillies,3-4,with small slit in centre
- Take a large bowl
- Put in the cut chicken
- Make a marinade with yoghurt,lime,salt,turmeric powder,chilli powder,coriander powder and ginger-garlic paste.
- Pour over the chicken
- Let stand for at least 30 minutes.
- Place a large heavy bottomed vessel on the stove,or use a pressure cooker.
- Add 3 tbsp of oil(sunflower/peanut)
- Add 10 tbsp of dalda/vanaspati(hydrogenated fat)
- When it begins to smoke,add the bayleaf,whole cardamoms,cloves and cinnamon sticks
- Add sliced onions,fry them till golden brown
- Add marinated chicken and fry till oil separates
- Next add coriander and mint leaves,cut finely
- Tomato puree goes in next,all the while being stirred
- When oil begins to float on top,add about a glass of water and let cook covered.
- Measure the rice in a glass or jar before washing it
- Measure out double the number of jars of water in another pan and bring to boil
- When chicken is 3/4 th done,add the boiling water
- Taste to see if you need more salt which can be added at this stage
- Some shelled peas,and chopped carrots and a couple of green chillies may be added
- Washed rice goes in and let cook,covered
- When rice is 3/4 th cooked,uncover lid,stir lightly
- Cover with an extra tight lid,and lower the flame
- Let cook on low flame till rice is done
WOULD YOU LIKE MORE INDIAN RECIPES?See results without voting
More by this Author
Do you want your kids to do well in school?Do you want them to be good in sports and music as well?It certainly pays to take a look at the daily diet given. Are your children getting proper nutrition and at the right...
Whole chicken marinated and half cooked with Tandoori masala hanging on skewers ready to be plunged into a hot Tandoor for a second time to finish the cooking process at a restaurant. Whole Tandoori chicken cooked in...
I took this picture very early in the morning while the lady of the house was drawing this festive rangoli. The unfinished design shows earthern pots with rice being cooked and sugar canes, which are part of every...