How To Poach An Egg: Perfect Poached Eggs Every time
Soft runny poached eggs oozing deliciously over buttered brown soda bread is a favorite breakfast of mine: healthy and low calorie too. Below is an easy and simple method to achieve perfect poached eggs every time to ensure your poached eggs are just right; a soft and runny egg yolk with a firm solid egg white.
Cook And Rate
- 4 fresh free range eggs at room temperature
- a splash of one of the following: apple cider vinegar, a fruit based vinegar or a white wine vinegar
- a pinch of salt
- boiling water straight from the kettle
- a deep bottomed pot
- four espresso cups or similar sized coffee cups
- a slotted spoon
- Pour the boiling water into the deep bottomed pot over a medium heat, allowing the water to simmer lightly.
- Add in the salt.
- Add in the splash of whichever vinegar you are using.
- Crack each egg into one of the four individual espresso cups.
- Gently lower the cup into the simmering water (hold the cup by the handle) and tip the cup slightly, thus allowing the egg to slip gently into the simmering water.
- Repeat with the remaining eggs.
- Simmer the eggs for 2 minutes (use a timer, timing is crucial).
- Turn off the heat and allow the eggs to sit in the hot water for a further minute.
- Remove the poached eggs from the hot water with a slotted spoon.
- Serve on thickly sliced homemade buttered brown soda bread.
- Sprinkle with freshly cracked black pepper and a pinch of salt.
Recipe for Homemade Brown Soda Bread
- Brown Soda Bread Recipe: How to Make Soda Bread; Ste...
Easy brown soda bread recipe complete with step by step instructions and pictures. An easy tasty recipe you will love.
Egg Poaching Utensils
- Low Calorie Sunday Brunch With All The Trimmings; Ea...
This article provides step by step instructions: how to cook the perfect low calorie Sunday brunch from perfect poached eggs to crispy bacon complete with the calorie low down. How to eat your Sunday brunch without consuming lots of fat and calories
Start Your Day The Healthy Way: Go to Work on an Egg
Using a light flavored vinegar like apple cider, a fruit based or white wine vinegar ensures you don't get that horrible vinegar taste that ordinary malt vinegar has. Malt vinegar has a very strong flavor and is best kept for your french fries.
Using the little cups helps mould the egg, hence keeping a nice round shape.
To achieve perfect poached eggs every time you will need very fresh eggs. To test your eggs to ensure they are fresh follow these simple guidelines.
- Fill a deep bowl with cold water
- Gently place the egg into the water
- If the egg sinks it's fresh; the fresher the egg the lower it sinks
- A really fresh egg will sit a the bottom of the bowl
- If the egg floats it's not so fresh; the older the egg the higher it will float
- A really old egg will float near the top of the bowl
The theory behind this test; the more air in the egg the older the egg, hence the higher the egg floats.
A Few Interesting Nutrition Facts for The Average Hen Egg:
Eggs are a low fat food with only a mere 70 to 80 calories per average medium egg. Eggs are a readily available cheap and healthy food source. Eggs are full of vitamins and minerals which the body requires on a daily basis for healthy functioning. Among numerous essential vitamins and minerals eggs contain:
- Protein: essential for healthy growth and muscle repair
- Vitamin A: helps to maintains healthy skin tissue and eye tissue
- Vitamin E: maintains good health and helps fights infection
- Numerous B vitamins including folic acid; prevents birth defects and choline; promotes healthy brain development
- Vitamin D: essential for the development of strong bones and strong teeth
- Iodine: controls the functioning of the thyroid glands
- Iron: maintains a healthy supply of red blood cells
- Zinc: helps promote a healthy immune system
© 2012 Gabriel Wilson
More by this Author
Delicious homemade fruit scones recipe: a few hints and tips to make your scones perfect every time. Simple, easy and totally delicious.
- 8Easy Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe Using Condensed Milk: Plus a Little Tip; How To Stop Your Meringue From Cracking
An easy lemon meringue pie recipe with homemade pastry using condensed milk. An easy everyday desert. A delicious cheats pie recipe that will please every time.
Zero calorie foods take more energy to absorb into the system than the energy in the food itself. In other words zero calorie foods are foods you can eat without counting calories or gaining weight