How to Can Tuna
Cook Time for Canned Tuna
- Prep time: 30 min
- Cook time: 2 hours
- Ready in: 2 hours 30 min
- Yields: 1 Whole Tuna Approximately 20 Pints
What is Needed to Can Tuna
- 4 Loins Albacore Tuna, Sliced into Medalions
- 2 Cases Pint Glass Jars
- 3 Cups Olive Oil
- Very Large Pressure Cooker
Canned Tuna Nutritional Value
|Serving size: 2 oz. drained|
|Calories from Fat||45|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 5 g||8%|
|Saturated fat 2 g||10%|
|Carbohydrates 0 g|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 13 g||26%|
|Cholesterol 30 mg||10%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
The Tuna Canning Process
- Sterilize glass jars, lids, & bands with boiling water
- Cut the tuna loins into medallions about 1 inch thick
- Add 1 - 2 teaspoons of olive oil in each jar
- Fill jar with tuna. Leave 1/4" from top of jar to avoid spillage - wipe jar lid clean to create a proper seal
- **Optional** Add pinch of sea salt, other flavorings
- Place lids and bands on jars, lightly tighten
- Put full jars into pressure cooker - Make sure to have a canning rack at the bottom of pressure cooker to avoid breaking the glass due to heat
- Screw on lid of pressure cooker and turn up the heat
- Reach 11lbs of pressure on the cooker reading and reduce heat to maintain pressure
- Allow the cooker to stay at the desired level of pressure for 90 minutes
- Remove from heat and allow pressure to dissipate before opening the cooker
- Remove jars and allow to cool naturally, the olive oil and oil from the fish will still be boiling in the jars, so be careful and allow them to seal
- Screw lids on tight once cooled and place in your cupboard
Best Canned Tuna!
Canned Tuna Overview
Learning how to can tuna is an important skill to have if you enjoy fishing in the ocean, love to DIY in the kitchen, or are very health conscious about the food you eat. Many popular diets such as Paleo, Whole 30, Pescaterian, and others highlight the benefits of fish and seafood, however many of the sources of canned tuna at the local supermarket are less the appetizing. You don't have to settle for water logged, twice cooked, shredded tuna that likely isn't even albacore. Buy a whole fish, or cleaned loins and learn how to can tuna, the do it yourself way.
The following step by steps instructions will ensure that you make the perfect jar of tuna that will last all year long.
Albacore tuna are plentiful and recognized as a sustainable fishery making them the perfect choice for eating regularly. The canning process is fairly straightforward and easy to follow, if you have done any pressure cooker based preserving then the steps will sound very familiar. After you master the basics be ready to whip up your own favorite secret recipe.
Anglers fishing with rod and reels generally take great care to ensure a high grade tuna by properly bleeding the fish and quickly placing them on ice. This ensures the meat is in better condition than some of the large commercial operations. The finished product from small boat operators is much better than the typical "chicken of the sea" canned varieties in the local super market. If you do not want to go out into the ocean and catch fish yourself it is possible to buy whole fish or loins straight off the boat from most ports along the west coast.
Whole Albacore at Market
Do like home canned tuna?
Special Recipes for Delicious Tuna
If you have the opportunity to process several albacore tuna into home canned tuna you can take advantage of the large number of cans and experiment with different flavors. There are many popular recipes that you can try to kick up your chicken of the sea in a glass jar.
These are a few of the more popular varieties.
- Jalapeno Pepper- Simply cut a large jalapeno into a 4 strips lengthwise. Clean out the seeds and wash the outside really well in the sink. Place one piece or more if desired into each jar. Cut it in half if you are using half pints instead of pints. Use a stronger pepper if you want more heat in your finished product.
- Garlic & Herb - Add a single clove of garlic to the jar and any of your favorite herbs that you want to infuse the Tuna with. A personal favorite is garlic and rosemary. This is excellent for using in tuna casseroles and tuna salads.
- Sriracha - Add a squeeze of the popular hot sauce sriracha into the jar prior to canning and it will leave a delicious sweet and spicy flavor throughout the fish. Perfect for using in a spicy tuna wrap.
- Smoked - A popular way to eat fresh tuna is to smoke it in a smoker. However if you intend to make a smoked canned version only smoke the tuna for about 45 minutes to an hour and then remove from the smoker and place in the jars, if you go to long, the tuna will not can properly. This is perfect for using as a spread with crackers and cheese.
These recipes will ensure you have a wide range of flavors to enjoy during the year. Once you learn how to can tuna you will never go back to the typical metal canned variety in the supermarket.
Video Tutorial of Tuna Canning
Ready to Store
Easy Meals with Canned Tuna
The best part of canning tuna is that is in your pantry ready for a quick and healthy meal at a moments notice.
Pop the lid and drain the liquids and it is ready to be used for a tasty lunch or dinner.
The most popular way to eat canned tuna is simply in a sandwich. Use two slices of bread, toast them if you prefer. Place the tuna in a bowl, add a spoonful of mayonnaise, and a little pickle relish if you prefer and smash with a fork to mix the ingredients. Spread the contents on a piece of bread and place the other on top, cut in half and enjoy. It can be served with lettuce and a tomato or simply by itself.
There are countless recipes from tuna salad, pizza, soup, and burgers and more. If you have taken the time to make this homemade specialty then enjoy it and be creative with how you incorporate more dishes into your weekly and monthly routine, instead of just eating more sandwiches.
More by this Author
Coconut Salad is a favorite fruit in tropical areas due to the fact they are locations that tend to be where there are lots of growing coconuts. Coconut fruit is great for a healthy fruit snack
Roasting a whole pig is a great way to have a big meal with friends and family. The Filipino Letchon Baboy takes BBQ pork to the next level.
Learning how to fish jerkbaits is a skill every avid bass fisherman should have for the winter and spring seasons. The fish can be sluggish in cooler water and a jerkbait produces reaction strikes.