How to Cook Spaghetti Squash and Make Mock Spaghetti and Meatballs
Health Benefits of Spaghetti Squash
Spaghetti squash is packed with healthy nutrients, including beta-carotene, potassium, vitamin A and folic acid. And like most vegetables, it’s extremely low in calories. One cup of spaghetti squash is less than 50 calories!
The spaghetti squash has a special quality when cooked: the inside of the spaghetti squash has the consistency of spaghetti-like strands, which makes it a perfect pasta substitute. This is perfect for individuals who cannot eat gluten products, weight-watchers, or just plain vegetable lovers!
- One 4 lb. spaghetti squash
- Non-stick spray
- Large knife
- Rectangular oven-safe pan
- Aluminum foil
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half, long ways as shown.
- Using a large, sturdy spoon, remove all the seeds.
- In large oven-safe pan, line with aluminum foil and spray the pan with non-stick spray; then place the 2 spaghetti squash halves in the pan.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place pan with spaghetti squash halves in oven and cook for approximately 1 hour, or until squash is tender after inserting a fork.
- Let stand for 5-10 minutes to cool. Then, using a large fork, scoop out the inside of the spaghetti squash halves.
- Store the spaghetti squash in a microwaveable dish or pan until ready to serve. If you are serving your spaghetti squash as a side dish, it can be mixed with cooked vegetables, or merely seasoned with a dash of salt, pepper, basil, and garlic powder. Delicious!
|Serving size: 1 cup|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 0 g|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 10 g||3%|
|Sugar 4 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 1 g||2%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 28 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
1 cup of spaghetti squash also contains the following:
- 3% of the daily requirement of vitamin A, iron and calcium
- 8% of the daily requirement of vitamin B-6
- 9% of the recommended dose of vitamin C
Part 2: Mock Spaghetti and Meatballs Dinner Recipe
Now that your spaghetti squash is cooked, here's how to create a hearty, healthy mock spaghetti with meatballs dinner. First, you’re need the following ingredients:
- Cooked spaghetti squash (as prepared above)
- Meatballs of your choice, homemade or purchased. Suggested favorite: Shelton’s Fully Cooked Frozen Turkey Meatballs
- Tomato Sauce of your choice, homemade or purchased. Suggested favorite if no homemade sauce is on hand: Bertolli’s Marinara with Burgundy Wine
- Optional: Grated Cheese, Basil Seasoning
Please take a moment to rate this recipe
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Ready in: 25 minutes
Yields: 4 dinners
- Meatballs: If using Shelton’s Fully Cooked Frozen Turkey Meatballs, or other frozen, cooked meatballs, thaw the desired number of meatballs in microwave.
- Tomato Sauce: Simmer meatballs in tomato sauce, 10-15 minutes on low setting, or until sauce is hot and meatballs are fully heated.
- Serve: Place 1 cup of spaghetti squash on dinner plate, add meatballs, tomato sauce, and grated cheese if desired. I like to sprinkle freshly chopped basil, or basil seasoning, and a pinch of garlic powder.
Voila! You have just created, a healthy, hearty, delicious, and nutritious meal!!!
Take the Challenge
Does spaghetti squash look like pasta?See results without voting
© 2013 Amelia Griggs
More by this Author
- 12Top 10 Lists of Healthy and Delicious Wheat-Free, Gluten-Free Meals, and Lactose-Free Meals and Snacks For You to Enjoy!
Whether you are allergic or sensitive to wheat products, lactose intolerant, or just want to eat healthier, in this article, you can find top 10 lists of foods to enjoy for breakfast, lunch and dinner, as well as for...
This article provides ingredients, recipe and step-by-step instructions for making Chicken Marsala. By following this easy-to-use cooking guide, you can create a Chicken Marsala dinner in no time!
This article explains spam and how to setup yahoo email to mark and unmark email as spam. In addition, learn how companies get your email address, how to block spam in your email inbox, and options to avoid spam in...