How to Cook the Best Pot Roast Ever in Five 5 Easy Steps
Prepare Your Senses For the Best Roast Ever
I am sharing one of our family secret recipes, for the best roast ever. You can prepare this delicious meal in 5 easy steps.
Have your crock-pot clean and ready to go. Keep in mind you probably will not have anything left over. This is especially true if this is your first time making this delicious meal.
This recipe is for a roast approximately 2.5 lbs (1.4 kg) - adjust cooking, and browning times for size. A small roast will cook faster.
- Heat a large skillet (I always use cast iron, but any non-stick will do), with about an inch of oil in the bottom. Not too hot, you don't want it smoking . There are several benefits to using cast iron, but if the cast iron pan is brand new, and you have never cooked with or seasoned the pan, use a non-stick instead.
- Once your skillet is warm but not smoking, take the roast and begin to brown each side. Use 2 forks to more easily handle the roast. 3 - 5 minutes on each side. If that wasn't enough to brown it to your specifications, keep turning the roast until you get it how you like it.
- While one of the large flat sides is browning, get the crock-pot ready. Plug it in and turn to Low for all day cooking, High for 2 - 4 hour completion time adding about 2 inches of hot water to the crock pot. Salt, pepper and garlic powder. You may have favorite spices you would rather use. (Spice to taste after roast is dropped in pot.)
- Finish browning roast by holding at odd angles with forks to brown each of the ends. The total browning time should take about 15 minutes, depending on size of Roast. Turn off skillet.
- Put roast in warm crock pot, spice to taste, add potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic or whatever floats your boat. Fill water or broth to one inch from the top of the crock. If the crock pot is set to high, it is best not to leave it unattended.
If You Are A Newbie Cook, You Can Do This - Don't Stress
For those of you who are new at culinary skills, How To Cook The Best Roast Ever will gain you big fans, and it should help with your confidence around the kitchen. In over thirty (30) years using this method for cooking roast, I have not had a "bad" roast. If Instructions are followed, it should come out good.
There have been times that my daughter and I have tested-tasted the roast so much, we accidentally ate the whole thing!
This roast always gets compliments, and there are rarely leftovers.
Your home will smell like dinner heaven, and your senses will go crazy over how good it is. You will reel in the compliments as well.
If you want to take extra time and be extra fancy, cut your veggies in Large Chunks and brown them as well. You can also cook all of this in the oven.
[Make sure to reference a cookbook or other guide for time per kilogram or ounce. If you decide to oven roast this recipe. It is good to use clean and healthy cast iron as you can save energy by reducing the time the oven is on. In cast iron you can cut off the heat 10 - 15 minutes early, and the radiant heat will cook it.
My mouth is watering as I write these simple instructions. I would love to know how it this recipe turned out for you.
Browning the roast first, cuts down on cooking time. The longer it is browned, the quicker the entire roast will cook.
"Andrea: Humanely-Raised Meats = Healthy Meats
Frugal Kitchen, Make More Than One Meal From Roast
After making the Best Roast ever in 5 easy steps, I have included recipes for two meals to make with the leftovers.
- Cooking small taco bowls, and squash strips; frugal meals The other is
- How to make flautas or taquitos; frugal meals
Humanely Raised Meat
- Why You Should Eat ‘Humane’ Meat
‘Humane’ meat is tasty and ethically logical, and should be what you’re eating if you’re eating animals.
One Last Tip
One last tip, don't forget the toothpicks!
© 2010 Lori J Latimer
More by this Author
It is not life, obstacles, ownership, or relationships that drive us crazy, it is our thinking about these things that do. Here's a hundred give or take
All of us know or are related to those who are poor and struggling. There are ways to give and help those at a disadvantage, that give dignity and a wealth of goodness
Do you prepare your own taxes on paper, or are you looking for free filing for taxes this year, use the IRS.gov website to find the free software that is best for you.