How to Make Banana Bread - Simple, Healthy Recipe
You don't have to be an expert baker to make this delicious banana bread.
There's nothing I love more than a moist piece of fresh banana bread. This is a recipe that my grandma passed on to me, but with a few tweeks. I've changed some ingredients to give it a healthier, lower calorie spin. The almond extract gives it the banana nut flavor, but without the nuts.
- 1/2 cup organic, raw sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 eggs, or egg substitute (which is what I used)
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Mash the bananas in a small bowl, set aside.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the apple sauce and sugar together. Add the eggs, beating until the mixture is foamy.
- Stir in the mashed bananas, vanilla, and almond extract.
- Add the dry ingredients in increments, stirring until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and bake for 50 minutes. After 50 minutes, begin testing the bread with a toothpick. When the toothpick comes out clean, remove the bread from the oven.
- Let bread cool on a wire rack, in the pan, for fifteen minutes. Then, remove the bread from the pan, and allow to finish cooling on the wire rack.
Step-by-Step PicturesClick thumbnail to view full-size
Store the bread in an airtight container, or wrap in plastic wrap, for up to a week. You can also wrap and freeze until you are ready to eat it.
A great idea, especially during the holidays, is to bake the bread in smaller loaf pans, then you can give them as holiday gifts, or take them to holiday parties for the host and hostess. They also make wonderful additions to homemade gift baskets, perhaps with some homemade cappuccino mix or holiday candy. This bread can come in might handy during the busy holiday season.
More by this Author
An easy guide to cook pumpkin puree at home. Once you go fresh, you'll never go back.
Getting together with friends and family is a lot of fun and creates plenty of wonderful memories. But, life is so busy these days that it is difficult to find the time to create the perfect party. How do you throw a...
A beginner's guide to knitting a scarf. This step-by-step guide teaches you how to knit a homemade scarf with directions for knit and purl stitches, two easy scarf patterns, knitting terminology glossary, and valuable...