Delicious Easy Chicken and Rice Casserole
Chicken and Rice Plated
Cooking at Home
From the experienced cook to the novice, this scrumptious dish is simple. All you need to do is follow the easy steps in this recipe and it will have your family and friends asking for more.
I have been the home chef for too many years to remember and I'm always looking for a new spin on everyday meals. Consequently, I was able to accomplish my goal by using only 11 common ingredients which resulted in serving a flavorful and moist dinner.
Throughout the years, I have learned to love cooking. I am far from being an artist or a craftsman. However, once I enter the kitchen I become possessed. Something takes over and a blank canvas starts to take on colors and depths. The old becomes new with a tweak here and an add on there. You see, for me, the kitchen is the greatest room in the house.
Set the Oven Timer and Walk Away
Building Blocks for a Great Dinner
- 4 Pounds Whole Chicken, Cut into 8 pieces
- 1 Small Broccoli Crown, Cut off the stem and then cut in half each floret
- 1 - 1 1/2 Cups Long Grain Rice, Uncooked
- 1 Garlic Clove, Minced
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Parsley, Chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Worcester Sauce
- 1 Can (10 3/4 Ounce) Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 Can (10 3/4 Ounce) Cream of Celery Soup
- 1 Envelope (2 Ounce Box) Onion Soup Mix
- 1 - 1 1/2 Cups Water (Cold)
Helpful Tip When Buying Chicken
Purchasing a chicken already cut up can is more expensive than buying the whole bird. My local grocery store's meat department will gladly cut up a whole chicken any way you want. For instance, if I'm grilling and barbecuing the hen I will ask them to simply cut the bird in half and give me a split chicken. For this particular recipe, I picked up a 5-pound whole chicken and the butcher was more than happy to cut it into eight pieces.
A Picture of What You Will Need
Easy Steps for a Great Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F).
- Using a large bowl, combine the soups, Worcester sauce, broccoli, parsley, dry soup mix, water, uncooked rice and garlic. Stir and blend well.
- Using cooking spray coat a 9 X 13-inch baking dish.
- Pour contents of the mixture into coated baking dish.
- Place the 8 pieces of chicken on top of ingredients and gently press down into the mixture.
- Sprinkle with paprika and parsley.
- Tightly cover the baking dish in aluminum foil (do not remove) and bake for 1.5 hours.
- We all know how strong temptation can be. However, please refrain from undoing the aluminum foil and taking a little look at the cooking process. If you do that it will let the steam release and alter the cooking time for the finished dish.
Rice, Broccoli, Soups and Worcester Sauce
Baking Dish with Broccoli Florets on Top
Campbell's Soup Chicken and Rice Bake
Great Side Dishes
A great go with a side dish is fresh corn cut from the cob. Also, peas and whole green beans always seem to compliment most rice dishes. Asparagus steamed, alongside the chicken and rice is another favorite.
Chicken Cut Up With Rice and Broccoli Blend
Chicken Casserole With Fresh Parsley
The Joy of Cooking
If you are new to the cooking world then I would recommend you start out getting your apron strings wet by following simple recipes. Many casserole dishes are fairly basic, yet jam packed with flavor and will feed a small army. Like any trade, practice makes perfect. You will learn, by trial and error, what works best and what ingredients you prefer to go easy on or shy away from altogether. The artist Bob Ross said, "We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents." Mr. Ross' philosophy can be applied to the kitchen, as well.
This recipe called for bone in and skin on chicken pieces. However, you could substitute chicken thighs, legs or boneless chicken breasts. Furthermore, if you or the people you are cooking for do not care for broccoli then by all means use something different. Chopped celery, diced onion, water chestnuts or even fresh mushrooms should work well within the rice mixture. After all, this is now your creation. so put your own spin on it and make this versatile casserole a dish you will be proud to serve.
MAY YOU ALL ENJOY YOUR OWN HOME COOKED HAPPY MEAL!
WRITTEN BY: DENNIS L. PAGE
Baked Chicken Ready to Serve
Becoming a Chef
What kind of chef are you?See results without voting
More by this Author
Oven Roasted Chicken with Fennel/Anise, Lemon, Carrots, Celery and Onions makes a Delicious Meal.
Crock pot pork roasts are packed with flavor, as long as the meat is seasoned and seared in a sizzling hot frying pan before placing in the slow cooker. Boneless pork loin is delicious with almost no waste.
No bake skillet lasagna is quick, easy and prepared without ricotta cheese. A recipe designed for busy households. Never make traditional lasagna again.