How to Make Garlic Dill Pickles
Home Made Dill Pickles
Remember going to the movies and getting that huge dill pickle to eat along with a soda? Do you still have pickles on your hamburger or alongside your ham sandwich? Wouldn't it be great to be able to make your own pickles? Pickles have been a favorite snack food and condiment for years! You can tweak the recipe in several ways to your preferred taste. Our favorite is Garlic Dill Pickles, with a little jalapeno added for just a little kick.
I am going to share with you the best recipe for dill pickles you have ever tasted. Our grown kids know that when they come to visit, they get to leave with a jar of pickles or a jar of our jalapeno pickled okra.
Equipment Needed for Canning Pickles
- 4 quart jars, steralized, with rings and lids
- large pan for water bath
- small pan to heat lids
- jar lifter
- kitchen tongs to remove lids
Softening the Seals on Lids
To have everything ready you will want to place your lids in a small pan of hot water to soften the rubber seals. I set a towel on the cabinet or table to place my jars on once they are finished processing.
- 12-15 cucumbers, washed
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, mild/hot
- 2 cloves garlic, per jar
- 3 cups vinegar, white
- 3 cups water
- 6 tbsp canning salt
- 2 tsp dill seed
- 1 tsp mustard seed
- Wash cucumbers throughtly to remove little black spiney bumps.
- Place 2 whole cloves garlic in the bottom of each jar. Add the mustard seed and dill seed also.
- Now pack the pickles into the jars. It is easier to pack them if they are wet. If you want "hot" pickles, now is the time to add 1 jalapeno to the jar. Use the small pickles to take up any dead air space you can.
- Now mix the vinegar, water and salt together and bring to a boil. Once boiling, pour the mix over the pickles, leaving about 1/2" head space.
- Place the heated lids on the jars and screw rings on snugly.
- Add about 1-2 inches of water to your large pan and place the jars inside. I like to set the lid on top of the jars, it just helps hold in the heat. Bring the water to a boil and "process" for 10 minutes.
- Once your processing is finished, take the jars out of the pan and place on a towel or something heat resistant. Using a pot holder, screw the lids down tight on the jars and set them aside to cool.
|Serving size: 1 Large Pickle|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 0 g|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 4 g||1%|
|Sugar 2 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 1 g||2%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Canning your own pickles is a great idea! You can have pickles just the way you like them all year long. Pickles will last for several years if you store them in a cool, dry place. You do need to let them sit for about 30 days before eating, to ensure the best flavor.
Pickles are a very healthy snack as well. They are very low in calories and they basically have no saturated fat and no cholesterol. Pickles are a good source of vitamin A, K, potassium, manganese, calcium and high in dietary fiber. However, they are high in sodium, take care if you are on a low sodium diet.
I hope you have enjoyed my recipe as much as I have enjoyed sharing it!
How Do You Like Your Pickles?See results without voting
You May Also Enjoy:
- Pickled Okra Recipe - Hot or Not
Pickled okra is one of my family’s favorite snacks! Adding a little jalapeno to this recipe gives it some extra flavor. It’s not hot, just has a little snap. Not only is it tasty, but it is very good for you too. Okra is high in both types of fibers
- Mustard Potato Salad Recipe - Southern Style
This mustard potato salad has a little twist of flavor by adding ranch dressing instead of mayo. My husband says it is the best mustard potato salad he has ever eaten!
- Picante Sauce Recipe - Southwest Style Salsa
Picante sauce or salsa has always been a favorite dipping snack for my family. It is a very healthy snack and is an exellent way to use the fresh vegetables from our vegetable garden. My picante sauce recipe is not overly hot and just has an over all
- Best Vegetables for Canning or Freezing and How To
If you have a vegetable garden, most likely you want to store some of your harvest for use throughout the year. The best way to do that is through canning or freezing them. After 25 years of growing, canning and freezing my vegetables, here is my cho
- How to Can Stewed Tomatoes - Recipe
Stewed tomatoes can be used in so many various recipes that it is very useful to have some handy in your pantry.I have included step-by-step instructions on how to can stewed tomatoes.
More by this Author
Picante sauce or salsa has always been a favorite dipping snack for my family. It is a very healthy snack and is an exellent way to use the fresh vegetables from our vegetable garden. My picante sauce recipe is not...
Pickled okra is one of my family’s favorite snacks. Adding a little jalapeno to the mix, you can make it as hot as you like. Easy step by step instructions with pictures.
Are you looking for a new puppy and would like to know which dog breeds may not be the best with children. After doing much research, I have compiled a list of the 10 most aggresive dog breeds.