How to Make Kerala Chicken Stew
Easy Preparation of Kerala Chicken Stew
Kerala Chicken Stew is one of the main items for Christmas in Kerala, which is also called as God's Own country. It is very delicious and easy to prepare too. For breakfast, chicken stew is a great combination with appam, bread, paratha, poori and puttu. Not only for Christmas, this delicious dish is prepared on other occasions too. Some people prefer Mutton Stew instead of Chicken Stew.
Items required for the preparation of Kerala Chicken Stew
Dressed chicken - medium pieces - 500 gm
Potato cubes - 1 cup
Carrot cubes - 1 cup
Tomato chopped - 1/2 cup
Onion chopped - 1/2 cup
green chillies - (cut lengthwise) - 4 Nos.
Garlic pieces (cut lengthwise) - 1/2 tbsp.
Ginger pieces - 1/2 tbsp.
Thick coconut milk - 1 cup (1st extract)
Thin coconut milk - 2 cups (2nd extract)
Curry leaves - 3 bunches
Cooking oil - 2 tbsp.
Salt as required
Lemon juice - 1 tsp.
Cinnamon - 1 piece
Cardamom - 5
Cloves - 5
Pepper - 1 tsp.
Powdered Spices required
Chilly powder - 2 tsp.
Coriander powder - 2 tsp.
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp.
How to Prepare Chicken Stew
- Keep the pan on the stove, and add oil.
- Add cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and pepper and stir. Add onion, ginger, garlic, green chillis, tomato, and curry leaves. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken pieces and stir well. Add thin coconut milk and cook with lid for 10 minutes.
- Add potato pieces and carrot pieces. Add the powdered spices, and stir well.
- Add salt and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid. If it is too watery cook for few more minutes without lid.
- Put off the stove and add the thick coconut milk. Stir well.
- Add lime juice and stir well, and cover it up for few minutes.
- Your Kerala Chicken stew is ready with the tempting aroma emanating the kitchen.
Appam with Kerala Chicken Stew
Which is your favorite stew?See results without voting
My other delicious recipes
- How to make Pazham Pori recipe - A South Indian delight
Pazham pori is a traditional recipe of Kerala State, South India. If you ever get a chance to travel in Kerala trains you are sure to see this mouth watering snack in the trains. Pazham pori is a...
- How to make Kerala Mutton Stew
For Christmas, in many Kerala homes, Mutton Stew is prepared, especially for the breakfast. Kerala Mutton Stew is a delicious dish. It goes very well with Appam, a traditional Kerala breakfast, which is...
More by this Author
Like any other country, India too has got her own beliefs and superstitions.
Find out how to make Pazham pori, a delicacy of Kerala. It is also called as banana fritters.
Lady's fingers (okras) have high medicinal benefits. Find out why this humble vegetable needs to be included in our regular food.